Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SL 320, in Ireland, and was wondering, albeit already being fairly sure of the answer, if anyone knew of a child seat that was capable of being fitted in the rear optional seats, which I have. I think there is enough room for legs to overhang if the front seat is at its most forward point.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Don't ever put a child seat in the front seat in a car with airbags, as an airbag deployment can kill a small child. In most states in the US, it is illegal..

Matt
Maybe we're misunderstanding each other...

Mercedes makes a special child seat specifically for the R129 that disconnects the passenger side airbag when installed.

That's why my car has an "airbag off" light that illuminates when that seat is plugged in. Not sure if yours has it or not, depends on your model year.

In any event, that's what I was referring to.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Was not away of the baby smart system availble for the R129, does not change the fact that it is illegal in alot of states to cary a child seat in the front seat. I would also question the safty of an infant riding in a convertable..

Matt

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Was not away of the baby smart system availble for the R129, does not change the fact that it is illegal in alot of states to cary a child seat in the front seat. I would also question the safty of an infant riding in a convertable..

Matt
Well it definitely came on the 129s since mine has it and so does my dad's '98. According to the article I posted, it also came on the SLKs of the same vintage.

As to the legality of babies and passenger seats, there are exceptions for cars that don't have a rear seat in jurisdictions that have a rear-seat limitation. If you only have two seats total, then you are not running afoul of the law by using an approved baby seat in combination with an airbag deactivation device.

See for yourself...

Child Restraint Laws

As to the safety of convertibles, I dunno...I'd probably agree with you. The 129s are probably alright, given that they have a roll-bar, but convertibles generally aren't so nice to be in if you roll over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts