Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which W123's (if any) came factory equipped with rear seat headrests? I have seen a few Benz's with rear headrests and they look classy. It gives them almost a limousine look.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
They were optional equipment on w123's (and w126's). Typically found on euro's more often than US models. Wagon's could be ordered with rear headrests, but also came with rear headrests when the 3rd row seat was spec'd.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So can aftermarket rear headrest kits be purchased?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
So can aftermarket rear headrest kits be purchased?
No aftermarket afaik. Some forum members have modded rear headrests set-ups (mbeige). I think they used front headrests. Someone will probably chime in with some advice.

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,248 Posts
The mounting kit can be purchased at the Mercedes Benz dealership.

part number: 123 970 01 00

you will have to purchase both sides and includes all internal parts for the seat back. See set #5 in picture.
Headrest and headrest rods can be sourced used used from a w126 or donor 123. I don't have the part number for that.

Here is my rear headrest install on a w123.

My passengers are way more confortable now! - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
That part # is NLA, has been for months.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Yes I added the headrests on mine.

Long story short:

1. Use any W123 headrest CUSHION
2. Get the rear headrest METAL bracket/rods from a W126 or W116 with rear headrests.
3. Install the W123 headrest CUSHION to the W126/W116 METAL bracket/rods
4. Get the correct mounting kit (see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1285384-rear-headrest-bracket-kit.html)
5. Remove rear seat and cut the rear seat top edge and install the eyelets
6. Install the brackets on the backside of the rear seat backrests
7. Install headrests and rear seat back onto car.

Or find a car at the yard that has one, then grab all the parts.

Notes:

Wagon rear headrest brackets/rods are more straight than the corresponding part in sedans or coupes. Sedans and coupes have more angled rear seats so the headrest brackets reflect this. Wagon has a more upright setup so the brackets are different (and harder to find).

·
Premium Member
07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
2,823 Posts
NLA

The "kit" remains NLA.

I have two front headrests from a W123.

Could I scavenge the parts needed to mount in rear of W123 from the rear seats in a W126 with headrests or would I be better off taking apart a W123 wagon rear seat for the necessary parts?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
W126 sedan rear headrests are the correct shape for W123 sedan/coupe fitment. W123 rear wagon for W123 rear wagon only, IIRC.

Don't forget to grab the metal support bracket, one will be welded but I think the other will be screwed on to the seat frame.

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
I have never removed a W126 rear seat back before, but I am sure I will figure it out. The yards are packed with W126's.

·
Registered
78/82 300D
5,180 Posts
W126's Do not have the correct rods to needed to attach the rear head rests to a w123. Only the early w126 models have the rear head rests attached to the frame but there is no way to remove the hardware. Later w126's have the rear head rests mounted in the parcel shelf.

I tried this route and found out it won't work....only thing I could think of is chopping up a w123 front seat back and some how tack welding them on. Though I was going to buy a pair of w123 rear head rests from a member...until he showed me a picture of the rear of the back seat...appears someone zip tied w126 head rests to the frame..

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
The headrest rod set for the rear of a 123 sedan or coupe are the same as the rear headrest rod set from a 116 123 and 126 sedan. The mounting kit for the rear headrests is part number 123 970 01 00. Here are pictures of the rear headrests and that kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
78/82 300D
5,180 Posts
The head rest and rods attached to the headrest of a w126 will work but the mounting hardware on the rear seat frame will not work.

I am going to agree to disagree now....but here are photos of the rear head rests on a w126 seat frame and the seat frame of a w123 with "correct" head rest....NOT THE SAME!!!

Rear Headrests Installed - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Now if you had both seat frames, welder, sawzall, rivet gun, braces and sewing machine to redo the cover...then you could...but really are they worth all that work?

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
I think I have it figured out:

1. The "kit" from MB is NLA, so disregard anything to do with it.

2. Remove front headrests from "donor" W123. Open backs of front seats on W123 and pop the rivets at the base of the headrest rails. Removed headrest "rails" and top attachment plate. Remove the front seat headrest rod "grommits".

3. Remove seatback of subject W123.

See attached photo of how it will lay out. This solution will provide FULL height adjustment of the rear headrests. Only one rail is showing in the photo, but it gives you an idea of how it works.

I have a bit more "engineering" to do, but it will be pretty straight forward.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
The head rest and rods attached to the headrest of a w126 will work but the mounting hardware on the rear seat frame will not work.

I am going to agree to disagree now....but here are photos of the rear head rests on a w126 seat frame and the seat frame of a w123 with "correct" head rest....NOT THE SAME!!!

Rear Headrests Installed - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Now if you had both seat frames, welder, sawzall, rivet gun, braces and sewing machine to redo the cover...then you could...but really are they worth all that work?
"...but really are they worth all that work?"

Only if there is a rear passenger during a heavy rear end accident. Without the rear headrest, there is a good chance of "whiplash" or worse.

http://www.whiplashprevention.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/Research Articles/Head Restraint/HeadRestraintPositionNeck Injury.pdf

·
Registered
78/82 300D
5,180 Posts
"...but really are they worth all that work?"

Only if there is a rear passenger during a heavy rear end accident. Without the rear headrest, there is a good chance of "whiplash" or worse.

http://www.whiplashprevention.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/Research Articles/Head Restraint/HeadRestraintPositionNeck Injury.pdf
I totally agree!! But I would imagine they would only help if the head rests were properly secured to the seat frame. I don't think zipped tied head rests would provide the same protection.

The idea of using the front head rests system on the rear is the way to go if properly mounts can't be sourced. I have seen this done twice now.

What I would like to see is more people try to easily convert other interiors into these cars. We would both get safer, more comfortable and lighter weight seats. I would like to keep my 78 original but my euro which is more a long trip car I would love to see with safer more modern mercedes interior retrofitted.

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Installed one rear headrest in my 240D today. Until I install the other, I may have the only W123 in the world with three headrests.

Taking a long trip in July with a rear passenger, so I thought now would be the time to install at least one. Took me 5 hours start to finish, but that included treating the rust on the seat frames and a trip to the hardware store.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I took all the parts I needed from the front seats of a W123: headrest, rails, etc.

The height is adjustable, but it would be best to remove the seat back to do so. It stands pretty tall even when all the way down, so I am not sure it ever will need to be any higher than shown in the photo.

Here are a few photos

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Installed one rear headrest in my 240D today. Until I install the other, I may have the only W123 in the world with three headrests.

Taking a long trip in July with a rear passenger, so I thought now would be the time to install at least one. Took me 5 hours start to finish, but that included treating the rust on the seat frames and a trip to the hardware store.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I took all the parts I needed from the front seats of a W123: headrest, rails, etc.

The height is adjustable, but it would be best to remove the seat back to do so. It stands pretty tall even when all the way down, so I am not sure it ever will need to be any higher than shown in the photo.

Here are a few photos
Well done, if you can source the correct metal rods for the pointed ear headrests from a w116 or w123 rear seat, you're golden. You might find that the front headrest rods do not position the headrest cushion forward enough. Try lifting up and tilting the cushion forward to see if it fits better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts