Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2009 ML350
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear passenger side seat belt won't retract at all. Now the whole length of the seat belt is out. Dealer said it has to replace the retractor. On the rear driver side, the seat belt will retract but sometimes it takes a few pulls for it to work and sometimes it doesn't fit snug to the body. Dealer said it's normal.

Just wonder if any members experience similar problem and if it is a common problem.

Joe

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
No problem with this Merc, but the dealer is correct. :eek:

·
Registered
His 2013 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Hers 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Kids 2010 "4Matic" Impreza
334 Posts
Known defect issue. Dealer will fix if this happens to anyone else in the future.

·
Premium Member
'11 ML63, '12 GL350-CDI, '13 S350-CDI, '16 B250e
118 Posts
Done under warranty

Yup - had same problem. Both rear units replaced under warranty (just in the nick of time).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rear passenger side seat belt won't retract at all. Now the whole length of the seat belt is out. Dealer said it has to replace the retractor. On the rear driver side, the seat belt will retract but sometimes it takes a few pulls for it to work and sometimes it doesn't fit snug to the body. Dealer said it's normal.

Just wonder if any members experience similar problem and if it is a common problem.

Joe
I just test drove and '09 that had that same problem on the rear seat - driver side.

·
Registered
2009 ML350 Black on Black. P2 , Keyless Go, Parktronic, Appearance Package, Lightning Package, 20"
5 Posts
Help.... on DIY..

Mine did same thing, sprayed some wd 40 and it works great now....no more warranty on mine so I had to figure something out.
2009 320 ml Bluetec

I have the 09 ML350... Mine did the same thing on the rear passenger side won't retract... I have to keep pull it out a let go a little at a time until it decide to retract.... I also just pass the 50k mark.. so no warranty for me:crybaby2::crybaby2: Do you have a DIY picture on this?? or how to fix it yourself?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
ML350 4matic 2010
2 Posts
No warranty too.

I have the 09 ML350... Mine did the same thing on the rear passenger side won't retract... I have to keep pull it out a let go a little at a time until it decide to retract.... I also just pass the 50k mark.. so no warranty for me:crybaby2::crybaby2: Do you have a DIY picture on this?? or how to fix it yourself?

Thanks a bunch.
If I go to a dealer to fix that (ML350 4matic) what should I expect to be charged for that? Ballpark figure be fine.

Thank you.
PS: Also if any one knows a good place for something like that in NYC/Long Island area - would love to hear the recommendation.

·
Registered
2009 ML350
3 Posts
Rear Seat Belt Won't Retract DIY fix

I had the same problem on my wife's 2009 ML350. The left rear passenger seat belt would not retract. As mentioned by other members, the dealer wanted several hundred dollars to replace it. I believe they quoted around $800 in 2013. I checked around the internet to see if there were any federal or state (AZ) regulations requiring a free fix but found that if the vehicle is no longer under warranty it is up to the owner to pay. A local salvage yard quoted me $100 for a belt off of a 2006 or 2007 model. I'm fairly handy and cheap so I figured I'd dive in..

From the trunk area I removed the black tie down brackets with a torx bit (3 brackets I believe) and then carefully started popping off the edges of the larger vertical black panel by cautiously pulling/prying. I did this all the way along its top edge towards the back seat and even pulled back the weather stripping around the passenger door to expose a couple of more metal clips which can be disengaged with a flat head screw driver. This gave me access to the lower edge of the white panel that the seat belt retracts through. There are a couple more torx screws along its bottom edge that I removed, including the one under the "AIRBAG" pop off cover along the white panel's upper edge. This freed up the upper portion of the black panel and lower portion of the white panel. It may even be possible to complete the project without freeing up the lower edge of the white panel but as I wasn't sure, I did this to give myself more space.

Anyway, once I could see the belt mechanism I removed the soft rubbery cover from the belt mechanism to expose the retracting/coiling mechanism. The retracting/coiling portion appeared to slow up once more of the belt wound in. I simply sprayed some WD40 and some Liquid Wrench (ran out of WD40..) between the spinning portions and it's bracket and ran the belt in and out over and over. I figured I'd overkill it by adding a tad of all purpose grease between the wheel and bracket. Ran it in and out a few more times and worked like a charm! Took maybe an hour and saved myself (and hopefully you) a few hundred bucks and trips to the dealer! Hope this helps someone else out.

·
Registered
83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
875 Posts
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

If anyone experienced this seatbelt issue firsthand - please go to the NHTSA web site above and click "File a complaint". That is the only way these problems get tracked and logged by the federal govt. It does not matter if you are under warranty or not. The Feds must tally ANY safety issue. This is the only way to force any manufacturer to issue a recall. If you experience any problem that might even lead to a serious accident - report it.

Recently, Chrysler/Jeep tried to fight the feds against recalling Cherokees because their gas tanks were placed behind the axle. These Cherokees were made from 1993-2004 !

If you experience this problem - filing with NHTSA will not guarantee a recall but at least we have a fighting chance it might lead to one. Bring your car immediately to the dealer and if they say you have to pay $$. Tell them you will report it to NHTSA as a serious safety issue and will inform the media.

·
Registered
2010 ML350
35 Posts
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

If anyone experienced this seatbelt issue firsthand - please go to the NHTSA web site above and click "File a complaint". That is the only way these problems get tracked and logged by the federal govt. It does not matter if you are under warranty or not. The Feds must tally ANY safety issue. This is the only way to force any manufacturer to issue a recall. If you experience any problem that might even lead to a serious accident - report it.

If you experience this problem - filing with NHTSA will not guarantee a recall but at least we have a fighting chance it might lead to one. Bring your car immediately to the dealer and if they say you have to pay $$. Tell them you will report it to NHTSA as a serious safety issue and will inform the media.
I have an apptmnt to have this issue fixed next week. It should be warranty work for my CPO 2010 ML350. I still filed a complaint as this is definitely a safety issue.

·
Registered
2010 ML-350
4 Posts
Rear Seat Belt Won't Retract - ML 350

JPCarrol...let me know what the dealer said. Mine too is a 2010 and it is stuck all the way out. My vehicle has 30000 miles on it and hardly ever has any passengers in the back. The dealer said my car is out of warranty and that I would need to pay for any repairs. Go figure. Were you able to get them to do the work out of warranty?

I filed the report as others did above.

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
2010 ML350
35 Posts
JPCarrol...let me know what the dealer said. Mine too is a 2010 and it is stuck all the way out. My vehicle has 30000 miles on it and hardly ever has any passengers in the back. The dealer said my car is out of warranty and that I would need to pay for any repairs. Go figure. Were you able to get them to do the work out of warranty?

I filed the report as others did above.

Thanks!
Scott
Scott, I visited the dealer this morning. Parts have been ordered. My 2010 is just inside the new car warranty by a couple days. But I also have another year of CPO limited warranty. Not sure if the seat belt would be covered under the CPO limited warranty...for when the other side goes bad.

The cost of the seat belt assembly ordered was $423.54...which is a bit ridiculous. I've seen them for around $250 online. Tack on labor and the job will prob come to $650.

If I were out-of-warranty, I would be doing this myself.

·
Registered
2010 ML-350
4 Posts
Thanks greatly for the information. I saw in a thread above where a person got in there and sprayed WD-40 on his and it now works fine. I may give this a shot before I go and spend the $600 to $800 bucks the dealer will gauge me on. Keep us posted on the outcome and if you hear from any of the service persons that this is an issue they see often.

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
2009 ML63 AMG
14 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat with my ML63 AMG. The right rear belt was slow to retract initially. I was forced to manually 'yo-yo' it back in, a few inches at a time. Condition worsened. Now, I have roughly ten feet of belt laying on the rear seat, unable to do anything with it. Coincidentally, the left rear seems to be 'sticking' a bit now too.

I've searched multiple MB forums. Though I didn't find any ML63 brothers with the same prob, I did find many posts of MB owners with this issue.

I spoke with the dealer. His obvious knee-jerk response was "new belt assembly, $7-800".

I've opted for a different approach. I found an on-line vendor that restores/repairs/resets seat belts for all MB's. After removing the effected belt, you ship it +65.00 to their shop. They restore/reset it and ship it back. They're claiming turn around time of 1-2 days. They pay for return shipping.

I haven't pulled the belt out yet and don't know degree of difficulty here. I did just order some nylon interior trim tools to help get the trim/pillar panels off. Hopefully, someone has been down this road and can help us all out. Seems like a great DIY idea for the forums, as the savings here is huge.

I'll keep ya posted on my progress...or lack thereof.

Brad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts