Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for me to replace my rear SAM unit with one exactly the same part number without having to get it recoded

I am getting "communication error with rear sam unit" error.

Merc guy told me to first trying unplugging the rear sam wait 5 minutes then plug it in again before I start swapping out the sam.
How do unplug the rear sam? Is there a master plug for the sam somewhere?
Thanks for help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI: The only issue I have is on the Instrument cluster: The temp guage is not working at all.
I have replaced temp sensor which did show a fault code and cleared code. Its fine now.

I have no other faults with the car 2004 90k miles only

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,179 Posts
Deplore is forum's SDS guru, so send him the question.
To my knowledge W211 don't have much coding required and SCN coding kicked in 2014, but some modules need to be "married" or calibrated.
Most of those functions can be done with MaxiEcu or other advanced scanners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, yes I've swapped out the rear Sam on a W211 chassis without any coding, just make sure the car it removed from has the same options.
Failing that a coding transfer is possible with Star or X431 is what I use. (still using same part number unit)
Happy swapping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to replace my rear SAM unit
I have found a second hand sam with the same part number and same vehicle, same year. The HW and SW versions are different - does this make a difference?

Also checking in parts catalogue it appears my sam has been superseded by a new part number- can I use the superseded part??

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can definitely use the superseded part number, you would need to transfer coding if it was a virgin unit though.
I’m not totally sure if the HW SW makes any difference, but I’m pretty sure you’ll be ok with a later HW SW Data set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts