Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 ML350, recently it was hit from behind. The collision center dismantled the rear bumper along with the rear tail lamps. After receiving the car from the repairs the door ajar indicator light is on, and rear doors are clicking after moving from a complete stop. After fusing with the collision center, I took it to the dealership and it turns out the rear SAM had water & corrosion damage. Could it be possible that this is from the repair shop since the entire back bumper & tail lamps were dismantled?

Note: within 2 months of going back and forth other things started to happen, like; indicator light for low fuel, key-less entry didn't work, and rear window would automatically roll back down after I closed it.

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,676 Posts
I have a 2009 ML350, recently it was hit from behind. The collision center dismantled the rear bumper along with the rear tail lamps. After receiving the car from the repairs the door ajar indicator light is on, and rear doors are clicking after moving from a complete stop. After fusing with the collision center, I took it to the dealership and it turns out the rear SAM had water & corrosion damage. Could it be possible that this is from the repair shop since the entire back bumper & tail lamps were dismantled?

Note: within 2 months of going back and forth other things started to happen, like; indicator light for low fuel, key-less entry didn't work, and rear window would automatically roll back down after I closed it.
anything is possible. but the leak in the rear sam is a well known problem with the w164. its because of the tail lamp seal failing, the more with an accident on that side. did it rain before or after the collision? washing the ml with a gap or failed tail lamp seal can cause water to go in aswell.

·
Registered
13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
2,051 Posts
very common issue is the tail lamp to leak and flood the rear sam. SO as prev stated, did it happen after or before the body work? HMMMM this is gonna be tough to prove.

·
Registered
2009 ML320 BlueTEC
17 Posts
Tail light seal leak was actually recalled

Hope this helps.

2009-03-10 (Published by NHTSA on 2009-03-10)
Recall Summary: MERCEDES BENZ IS RECALLING 16,130 MY 2009 M-CLASS W164 PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE OPTIONAL POWER LIFT GATE. AS A RESULT OF A FAULTY SEAL AROUND THE REAR TAIL LAMP ASSEMBLY, WATER MAY ENTER THE REAR COMPARTMENT CONTAINING THE SPARE TIRE. WATER CONTAMINATION OF THE CONTROL UNIT FOR THE POWER LIFT GATE CAN RESULT IN DISABLING OF THE POWER LIFT GATE MOTOR.
Hazard: WATER WILL CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT WHICH COULD LEAD TO A FIRE.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SEAL OF THE REAR TAIL LAMP ASSEMBLY WITH A THICKER ONE AND REPOSITION THE AFFECTED POWER LIFT GATE CONTROL UNIT INSIDE THE CHASSIS. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.
Additional Info: MERCEDES BENZ RECALL NO. 2009030003.OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
NHTSA Source: | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Registered
2006 ML 280 CDI
9 Posts
Hi 43sqd,

Do you have the description of connectors A to H shown in the rear sam picture you posted ?. I am trying to find the CAN signal wires.

I had the same problem with the corrosion, but i repaired the SAM by replacing some IC's. Now all devices involved with the rear sam unit are working fine (locking doors, cabin lights, etc.), but informaton going through the CAN BUs is not recognized by the rest of the hole system, so no failure messages are given by this module. Even conecting a scanner on the OBD port gives all hardware and software versions of all ECU's except the rear sam, which says can't communicate with it.

I want to check the can bus lines going to/from N10/8, but I can't find information regarding to wich connector are this wires attached.

BTW, take a look at how I found the Rear SAM when I opened.

Many thanks!
Antonio

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,234 Posts
Post your full vin# and I will try my best.

Is the CEL on?

Is there a specific code number?

Is there anything else on the truck that is not working?

What scanner are you using?

·
Registered
2006 ML 280 CDI
9 Posts
what do youmean with the cell?

Everything seems to work ok. All elements under N10/8 (rear sam) are working.

There is no codes at all. See the pdf with a report doen by the scanner. When the scanner starts testing the rear sam module, it just says module not recognized (take a look at the pdf under ECU name=SAMH and see that there is no "information data" section with hardware and software versions, PN, etc. as in all other ECU's)

The scanner is a MPM-COM, usb version (mari brand) and software is MaxiEcu2, mercedes version. All purchased as a kit directly at MaxiECU website.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,234 Posts
CEL is Check Eng. Light.

What about these codes: 5061, 5261, 9036,9038,9023 &9029.

If you are going to post info, you should post it in English

·
Registered
2006 ML 280 CDI
9 Posts
Cell is off, and there are no messages at all.

No errors found at all, except some intermitent "low bat. state" and "terminal 30 not connected" at the inmobiliser ecu (9001 and 903D), but as they are not permanent, there is no check light or messages.

Sorry for the pdf report which is in Spanish (software setup). I will try to change setup to English and repost the report.

·
Registered
2006 ML 280 CDI
9 Posts
Those 2 messages are from an earlier test. They already deleted. In previous reports the info was:

ECU Information
System: Inmoviliser
ECU Name: EZS/EIS - Immobiliser

Information data
Parameter Value
MB part.num: 1645450708
Provider: Marquardt
Hardware state: /04/15
Software state: /04/50
Diagnosis Identificator /0/6
VIN WDC1641201A068932
Serial Num: 2002163691606152
Fault Codes - Actions
Time DTC Type Description
13:17:04.899 Read fault codes
13:17:05.144 Registered Faults
9001 Intermitente Low power supply
903D Intermitente Terminal 30 ausent

In any case I dont think it is related with the rear sam problem.

I have been checking the datasheet of the TJA1054. The TJA1054 is the interface between the protocol controller and the physical bus wires in a Controller Area Network (CAN), and is one of the IC's I changed. Pin 7 is a weak-up signal which is activated low. and 5 minutes ago just checked that voltage at this pin was 13,7 (engine running). The datasheet also says that the "wake-up" state can also be activated by CAN signal, and in this case this pin should remain to VDD (power supply voltage), but.....

I saw in the PCB 2 pads with rest of solder paste which "looks like" (but not sure) a component was there and is missing (small smd resistor, probably 0603 size). The point is that this pad is connected to pin7 (wake-up state signal), and now I am start thinking that while cleaning the corrosion of the PCB, that component could get lost (it was in the middle of corrosion area), so I would also need a pict of N10/8 PCB to check if there is a resistor there or there is nothing.

Is located where the yellow circle aprox. at the center of the PCB, near a large capacitor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 ML 280 CDI
9 Posts
Nearly sure, there is no resistor in those empty pads. I saw an old picture prior to clean the PCB and it seems there is nothing soldered. That means that the wake-up status of the IC is done externally by the CAN bus signaling.

Now the point is... from all the connectors, which ones holds the CAN signals?. As far as I saw, the rear sam is connected with 2 other CAN lines. One goes to the ZGW (central portal) and I think the other one goes to the OBF (control panel below the climatizer).

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,234 Posts
Here are the wiring diag. for the rear SAM and the CAN bus according to your vin#.

Also here is your data card with features. Wiring diags.ask for certain body codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 ML 280 CDI
9 Posts
Thank you man. Really appreciate it!!!

BTW... There was a website called 17vin.com where you could get a very complete datacard, including some technical info, but unfortunately the site is down since last summer. :-(

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 GL 350 CDI Rear SAM Fuel level Gauge

I recently replaced by 2010 GL 350 CDI Rear SAM. My car is diesel W164. I replcaed the rear SAM with a used rear SAM from a Petrol W164 ML 350. All other functions are working except the fuel level gauge. Is there a solution to this? Thanks for all help.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,234 Posts
The wiring for the fuel tank floats (right & left) are different in diesel & gas vehicles.

Find a used SAM from a diesel veh.

·
Registered
2007 ML63 AMG (His) 2007 C280 (Hers)
22 Posts
Having just spent $4K on reconditioning the front end (new struts, wishbones, torsion bar links) on my 100k kilometre 2007 ML63 I was hoping for at least a few months of pain free driving. No such luck. After a downpour two weeks ago a lot of electrics went out and that was quickly diagnosed as the SAM-in-the-puddle issue. I pulled the SAM out and cleaned off (using vinegar) the extensive corrosion, it looked like new, reinstalled it but to no avail. I suppose I could have bought a replacement on eBay but due to regional/model variations this is high risk and anyway you need a Star Diagnostics box to implement a new SAM, so I elected to take it to my MB man (not Authorized but factory trained/certified) and he fitted the retro thicker taillight seal and a new SAM. $1500 later and I'm back in business. But for how long?? This is my third ML, will probably be my last .. :-( .. !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts