Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz SL500
3 Posts
Hi all, I’ve been trying to work out why my 3rd brake light suddenly stopped working when every other light at the rear still works fine ??? Just came across a post with the same issue and was able to download the rear SAM wiring diagram which helped the other member but, I can’t make sense of it ? All I know is when I stick my multi meter to the stripped power wire it shows a voltage of 0.05v s so it’s as if the power is being cut off somehow ?? Any help would be much appreciated as this issue has been driving me nuts for months now AND my boot is still stripped out whilst I fix it ! PS. All fuse s are ok and I’ve replaced certain relays but no joy ! Hope for some help, many thanks !
Hi problem 3rd brake light,
Is the brake mounted in the rear window or on the trunk lid?
I had problem with my 3rd brake light who is mounted in the trunk lid found out there was a brake in the wires who goes down after the trunk lids hinges , just replaced a part of the wires and that it.

Zipkart

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
checked ALL the wiring around the boot lid hinge and as said previously in the thread I’ve fixed the common wire that breaks.

·
Registered
94 E320 Sedan W124 M104 225K mi; 05 E320 Wagon W211 100K
21 Posts
Here is wiring diagram and legend.
Whoa - dunno how this sliipped past my attention - maybe it's a sign of something, but I can't seem to remember what it was....
Cereally, I'm grateful for your taking the time to RE to my plea - although I'm afraid this schem must be for the sedan, or something else other than the wagon, for I cannot find ANY mention of the N211 "module" that's mentioned by my scanner (MBII) as being sketchy. The wagon differs from the sedan (which DOES get some mention in forums, tutorials and videos) in a few significant respects:
there are TWO light fixtures on each side - two in tailgate, two outboard - which obviously will mean the access procedures are quite different, too;
then the modules that contain the non-removable, non-replaceable bulbs are quite different;
the wiring, then, including modules like the N211 in question, will also be quite different.
I see (from pictures) that the sedan modules have more bulbs than mine, which must necessitate entirely different wiring AND logic in order to facilitate SUBSTITUTE lights being activated (so that, at least I don't get stopped by The Man.)
I even anteed up for a year's subscription to a common "service" that claimed to have ALL the documentation and service manuals I could possibly NEED - and is touted on forums as ESSENTIAL info for ANYONE trying to DIY, but their info was ALSO sedan-infested and lacking what I need for my dummkopf wagon.
The only local MB shop obviously didn't actually know anything about this particular model and its intricacies, either, as I could tell by comparing what he said with what I've already ferreted out for myself - so this is becoming a major PITA - just for TAILLIGHTS!
I mean - just HOW DIFFICULT CAN IT BE to wire LIGHTS in AUTOMOBILES these days? Haven't we been building cars for over a century now, or have I slipped a cog in my schoolboy history?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,985 Posts
I'm afraid this schem must be for the sedan, or something else other than the wagon, for I cannot find ANY mention of the N211 "module" that's mentioned by my scanner (MBII) as being sketchy.
Diagram is for both sedan (U58) and wagon (U57). What description your scanner gives about N211 module?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So, I’ve had 5 mins to check the power at terminal 4 on pin22 at rear SAM which is showing 11.96 volts W/O engine running...... so SAM has power so why the hell does the led brake light not ?? Have just been reading up on how all the SAMs/ CANs do actually link up for communication and as much as it’s may sound ridiculous, is it possible the fault s with my audio gateway/ heater booster/ driver s mirror switch short via the main harness in the door apparently and a couple of other battery drain issues could actually be causing the power cut off the led brake light ????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
MOT is on 18th March so I’m starting to sweat already as although I’ve bypassed led to other brake lights, as I’ve already stated because led is not connected to the SAM it’s shows malfunction on dash which I’m sure is an instant failure ??????

41 - 49 of 49 Posts