Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 W210
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in a small fender bender yesterday, the other driver was at fault. Instead of denting like i expected it to a big chip fell off, i was wondering what the body was made out of.
F6402132-749E-40E8-B162-054B60ACE748.jpeg

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,966 Posts
May be it was repaired before and they put a thick layer of filler there.

·
Registered
2001 W210
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that would make more sense, was confused when I was looking at the damage.
Im calling to file a insurance claim today, the rear wheel also looks slightly tilted in at the top, so gonna se what other damage is their.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
554 Posts
I'll be watching this thread to see how you fix that area. My 2002 wagon has terrible rust on the back edge of that wheel arch (due to a hole above the mud flap allowing water in). I would love to find a donor car with no rust and matching color, then cut off the wheel arch body metal. I'd grind mine down, have a shop weld on the new arch (from the underside), then seal it up. Yes, there would be a ridge where the new panel sat over the original body, but I don't care. I can't pay to have the whole panel repainted, so putting new over old seems easiest.

·
Registered
2001 W210
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be watching this thread to see how you fix that area. My 2002 wagon has terrible rust on the back edge of that wheel arch (due to a hole above the mud flap allowing water in). I would love to find a donor car with no rust and matching color, then cut off the wheel arch body metal. I'd grind mine down, have a shop weld on the new arch (from the underside), then seal it up. Yes, there would be a ridge where the new panel sat over the original body, but I don't care. I can't pay to have the whole panel repainted, so putting new over old seems easiest.
I’ll keep you updated gonna get it taken care of in the next week or two

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,786 Posts
There was body filler there for sure. Also for the other poster a good body shop should be able to cut and weld a piece in line with the rest of the body work. No overlapping. They just Weld and grind smooth and touch up a little bit with body filler then Prime and paint.

·
Registered
2001 W210
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was body filler there for sure. Also for the other poster a good body shop should be able to cut and weld a piece in line with the rest of the body work. No overlapping. They just Weld and grind smooth and touch up a little bit with body filler then Prime and paint.
Yea i purchased the car from my grandfather (who owned it since 2005) 4 years ago, when i asked him about it he told me got hit on that side around 2008 and the body shop he took it to used alot of filler instead of replacing it like he asked. When he realized it and went back to the company they where out of business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts