Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes C300
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post here and I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2013 C300 and just this past week I noticed that there is water seeping up through the carpet in the rear passenger side of the vehicle. When I'm driving the carpet becomes so saturated that small pools of water form. To a much lesser extent the front passenger carpet is slightly wet.

I researched the topic online and the primary suspect seems to be the sunroof drains are clogged or broken. When I opened the sunroof I noticed that water had built up in the front reservoir where the drains are. I took it to the MB dealer and they gave me the usual runaround that they'd need to trace the source and it could cost upwards of $2k to fix, depending on the issue. They hinted that it may also be A/C related. When I asked whether the water could cause any serious damage under the carpet they said it was unlikely in the back, but this is still something that I need to fix ASAP. I haven't noticed any other mechanical or electrical issues with the car since the water began pooling this past week. We also had significant rainfall but the car was parked under a bridge so I don't think it would have been too exposed.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their car, and any suggested ways to fix the issue? I'm planning to run some water through the drains this evening to see if it drains out the front or back properly.

Thanks,
B

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes C300
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update, I poured water in the reservoir and waited for it to drain to no avail. The water sat in the reservoir which makes me think that the drains are completely clogged or broken.

·
Registered
2009 ML350
13 Posts
Did you fix your problem?

I had 3 gallons of water spill in my back seat which disappeared so fast the carpet didn't get wet. Turns out the water went into a subfloor beneath the carpet and got into, and ruined, my electronics under the drivers seat. I believe there were 5 components which cost ~$5,000. Be careful with getting water in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 4matic W204
20 Posts
I had an issue with my carpets getting wet, except it was my front and rear drivers side carpet. I took everything out myself, and dried all the carpets. I did some research and also heard about the sunroof drains, but it did not make much sense to me, because my drains weren't terribly clogged.

However, I found another situation where water reaches to the driver side carpet. There is a plastic piece that connects to the front windshield and is supposed to direct the water to the side of the car to drain properly. But, the seal, on my w204, between the windshield and the plastic piece was not connected properly and allowed water to drain straight under the hood, which found its way through the firewall and into the carpets. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2010 c300 w4
2 Posts
Hi guys, first post here and I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2013 C300 and just this past week I noticed that there is water seeping up through the carpet in the rear passenger side of the vehicle. When I'm driving the carpet becomes so saturated that small pools of water form. To a much lesser extent the front passenger carpet is slightly wet.

I researched the topic online and the primary suspect seems to be the sunroof drains are clogged or broken. When I opened the sunroof I noticed that water had built up in the front reservoir where the drains are. I took it to the MB dealer and they gave me the usual runaround that they'd need to trace the source and it could cost upwards of $2k to fix, depending on the issue. They hinted that it may also be A/C related. When I asked whether the water could cause any serious damage under the carpet they said it was unlikely in the back, but this is still something that I need to fix ASAP. I haven't noticed any other mechanical or electrical issues with the car since the water began pooling this past week. We also had significant rainfall but the car was parked under a bridge so I don't think it would have been too exposed.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their car, and any suggested ways to fix the issue? I'm planning to run some water through the drains this evening to see if it drains out the front or back properly.

Thanks,
B
Just found the same problem. Vacuumed about a pint of water from rt. rr. pass foot well. There are probably channels pressed into the flooring- most of the water seems to be coming from the area where the front seat rails are bolted into the floor. I parked it on a slight incline, facing uphill and watched the water draining into the rear most corner under the front of the seat cushion.
I sold MBs for 40+ years and saw all kinds of drainage issues over time. Mostly it was debris in the engine compartment, near the crawling at the base of the windshield, causing the water to overflow into the heater compartment and flow down the channels.
I’m still looking.

·
Registered
2007 W204
10 Posts
check door shredders plastic sheet behind door trim if this has been damaged can be a source of water ingress but it seems by reading your comments your drains are blocked find out where they are meant to come out underneath the car and shove a welding rod or metal coat hanger in and wiggle about to dislodge debris

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have similar problem. The front drain pipes were clogged so water in the front reservoir doesn’t drain, over spill and wet the front carpets and the overhead light.

I unclogged the drain pipes by using a small flex pipe that can fit into the drain hole and blow water through the flex pipe to create a pressurized water stream into the drain pipe so that it can help to flush out debris inside the drain pipe.

There should be four drain holes at the four corners of the sunroof component. The front left and right holes you can see them at the left and right ends of the front reservoir. The hole size is about a pinky finger size. The two rear holes are hard to reach so it can be a challenge to unclog them, but the front two holes can be unclogged using the method above.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rear passenger footwell can hold 1.5+ gallons of water. Our mechanic got the sunroof drains cleaned out, but it set us back $400 in labor. That did NOT include doing any carpet removal or drying. The behavior you described when the front of the car is elevated is exactly what I saw on our 2013 C300.

I've owned four cars with sunroofs (not Mercedes), and never had an issue with clogged drains for the sunroof. I guess we paid extra for that feature!! :rolleyes:

We'll be removing the carpet ourselves to make sure all of the water is out, and drying it before returning it. We haven't had the mildew-smell-from-the-A/C problem, and we don't want the same smell from our carpet. We've been lucky so far because it's cold outside, but that'll change...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,
B
I have a 2011, C 300, and just this past weekend, my entire floor both front and rear were so saturated there it became pool like. The rear had way more water than the front. Yes, I’ve been told the same by the mechanic.
I also noticed Consumer Report starting there is a recall, but ONLY for 1999 thru 2010. Therefore, it’s suffice to say Mercedes Benz DID MIT fix their problem as it stated! Thus, consumers shouldn’t be at fault in paying for this defect!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your roof, the opening, you need to use a tiny needle to open the clog, so that water can go out when you wash the car or it rains.

·
Registered
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC
155 Posts
I just dealt with a similar problem in my 2012 C300 a few months ago. In my case it was on the front driver's side. I came out one morning after it had rained overnight and all of my windows were heavily fogged on the inside. There was just a few drops of water on my rubber floor mat, but underneath it the carpet was like a wet sponge. I took it in to the dealership and it did turn out to be a clogged sunroof drain. Once they got in there they found that it had probably been happening slightly for a while, and had just gotten bad enough to notice. I had several corroded wiring connectors that needed to be replaced. In the end it cost me about $1,500. My service adviser told me that the shop foreman was very familiar with this issue, and did something near the leak point to change the angle of the drain line so that if it were to backup again, the water should flow away from the car instead of inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts