Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ... I'm a sometime lurker here ... I believe that this is my 1st post. I read the New Members Guide.

I've been looking around in many places for about 3 hours and I'm not sure what pads to get. I've tried researching this, but I'm getting nowhere, fast.

I have a Mercedes 1998 ML320. I could be wrong but I believe that my original rear brake pads have one (or two?) sensor(s) on one side of the vehicle. Believe it or not those original pads are still on the car. It has 70k miles on it. In the middle of that model year the brakes changed. I believe I have a "through A083268" car. The last 6 characters of my VIN are A028677. (?28,667th ML320?) In general the car is doing well.

I am trying to find read brake pads that come with sensors. If they don't come with sensors then they should be able to take sensors that I buy separately. It appears to be a bit of a problem to find such brake pads. I have heard that Mercedes nixed the sensors on the rear brake pads for 1998 ML320s at some point. I could be quite wrong about that.

This is a tall order, but I would like to pick up these parts somewhere within 60 miles of Chicago, IL. I live in the far south suburbs. So, if anyone could recommend parts numbers (and the mfg) that would be AWESOME.

Preferably I'd like medium priced semi-metallic pads. Extended wear is an option, but not mandatory. Ceramic is certainly an option, but is more expensive.

THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Usually, the top end pads come with the sensors, i know that pagid pads come with the sensors--i used to be a mechanic for a mercedes aftermarket garage. As i am in montreal, i cannot suggest any retailers in ur area, but if all else fails check online or ebay for that matter. hope it helps.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks genisis! for the info about Pagid pads. I'll try to find the part numbers for 1998 ML320 rear pads from that them.

Your info about Pagid is exactly what I'm looking for. I can now try to find Pagid in my area.

For various reasons ordering over the internet is not an option for me right now.

Any other suggestions from anyone for manufacturers or mfg/part # would be very welcome.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
Hi Mr. Pete -

some thoughts:
1/ just buy you parts on line
(why on earth would you not buy on line and have them sent to your house? :confused: shipping is free - there is no value in picking up the parts in person)

2/ you really should change not just the pads but the rotors too. false economy to change only the pads. you rotors will wear out end up having to buy rotors long before this set of pads is worn. this happened to me.

3/ i would not get too hung up on sensors. it would not be the end of the world if you did not fully populate all the sensors... many MB cars only have 2 sensors. your brakes lasting as long as they do even less reason to worry. however if you are really set on it i think you can buy wear sensors separately. you need to ask whomever you are purchasing from how many sensors are included.

4/ sounds like you want to shop for akebono pads.

5/ better quality pads come with new stainless steel sliders - these are nice.

6/ dont forget to buy the antisqueel paste

7/ this would be a good time to change your brake fluid.:cool:

good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 ML320
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hallo Herr. Gesundheit! Thank you for speaking up!

1/ just buy you parts on line
The brake job must be done tomorow. I did order online and I got a rude surprise.

2/ you really should change not just the pads but the rotors too.
We think alike. I ordered rotors, too.

3/ i would not get too hung up on sensors. ... i think you can buy wear sensors separately.
I'm striving for pads with sensors, but it is not certain that I can achieve this goal. It's not the end of the world, but I would rather not "backslide" and loose this feature.

4/ sounds like you want to shop for akebono pads.
I'm trying, but I have not come up with any part number as of yet. In the last few minutes I did just find a PBR part number (below), but I don't know if I can find it within 60 miles of Chicago tomorrow. I'm also looking for Akebono.

PBR W0133-1624546 Disc Brake Pad
aka PBR1624546

5/ better quality pads come with new stainless steel sliders - these are nice.
Yummy! I would also like a slice of that please!

6/ dont forget to buy the antisqueel paste
We think alike. I ordered that, too.

7/ this would be a good time to change your brake fluid.:cool:
We think alike. I ordered brake fluid, too. ATE Super Blue Racing (1L). I hear it's good. We're going to find out!

good luck. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the nice thoughts! I think I'm going to need that good luck. I have such a headache right now.

Back to searching for Akebono rear pads for 1998 ML320 (and others) with sensors ...

·
Registered
1998 ML320
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. HUGE mistake here on my part.

On the early 1998 ML320 rear pads there are no sensors.

That's for chassis numbers through A083268. Your 1998 ML320 chassis number is the last 7 characters of your VIN.

These early cars are sometimes called "-A083268" or "through 11/98" or "through 12/98." On these vehicles there is simply no place in the back drivers side to plug a sensor wire in, even if you could get a pad to fit that would have a sensor on it.

In the 1998 early ML320 on the front driver's side pads there is a sensor. I could be wrong but I think there is just one sensor on that set of 2 pads. When you buy a set of 4 front brake pads they may well give you 2 sensors. I suspect that those same pads can fit other ML vehicles that can use both sensors.

The later 1998 ML320s are sometimes called:
"from A083269"
"A083269-"
"from 12/98."

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
on the early 98MLs, there is only ONE brake pad sensor, which is on the front driver's side as you stated. Rears have no sensor, you replace the pads when you hear metal to metal squeal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts