Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05 E320 CDI w/ 4 Zone Climate Control, Panaromic Roof, Parktronics. MB SDS equipped.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will shocks affect the left and right height? I wonder why the rear of my car is not levelled. Would the inner bolt of the lower control arm has to do with it?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,982 Posts
The rear level sensor should compensate for that control arm.

Shocks on the rear can affect ride height if one is shot and is causing the the rear air
spring to take a beating. You won't see an error on the dash until the spring lets loose
but the MB SDS tool can test the airmatic system to see what is going on at each corner.
Do you have a way of getting it diagnosed at a reasonable price? I would guess a dealer
in Canada would get $85-120 Canadian to run the diagnostics.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,982 Posts
Okay the lack of airmatic makes this less complicated. It is possible that a really messed
up control arm will make a car squat in an odd position. The shocks would normally
be less of a factor becuase the springs are what are holding the car's height. We had
a few broken springs over the years(mostly on MLs) and people only noticed the noise.
On the W211 the ride would be horrible with a broken spring.

·
Registered
05 E320 CDI w/ 4 Zone Climate Control, Panaromic Roof, Parktronics. MB SDS equipped.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the rear passenger side is higher than the driver side. I suspect the technician tightened the inner lower control arm bolt while the car is on the hoist (without any load). The car was in the shop for a blown differential seal warranty repair. Sigh, I don't trust those guys at the dealerships. I wonder if I could re-torque the inner bolt while the car is on the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts