Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started hearing a metallic type vibration when idling. Established that it's the rear muffler, maybe the internals shook loose, the baffle or something. Been looking on the web. Found several listings. 2 compatible brands price wise are "Bosal" and "Eberspacher" Thought I'd check with you guys before I make a move. Anybody know if these brands are good. Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Agree 100% with Steve ^

Hold an Eberspacher in one hand and a Bosal in the other and you feel the light weight of the Bosal. If building a race car then the Bosal is the way to go but its louder because it isn't built like the Eberspacher.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree 100% with Steve ^

Hold an Eberspacher in one hand and a Bosal in the other and you feel the light weight of the Bosal. If building a race car then the Bosal is the way to go but its louder because it isn't built like the Eberspacher.
Good to know, seems like I've loss a bit of horse power too, maybe my imagination, it is a bit louder thou...

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
Stay away from Bosal. I replaced both the muffler and the resonator from the dealer because they were on sale.
At least the muffler had both the Mercedes and Ebersprecher markings and part numbers on it.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stay away from Bosal. I replaced both the muffler and the resonator from the dealer because they were on sale.
At least the muffler had both the Mercedes and Ebersprecher markings and part numbers on it.

- Cheers!
I'm definitely going with Eberspaecher, did you say you bought Bosal from the dealership or Mercedes mufflers from the dealership?Because Mercedes wants $1300 just for the rear muffler! Whoa!

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I'm definitely going with Eberspaecher, did you say you bought Bosal from the dealership or Mercedes mufflers from the dealership?Because Mercedes wants $1300 just for the rear muffler! Whoa!
Gotta love it. I can get the rear muffler for under $500 from my dealership. It is a Mercedes logo muffler but its not made of gold. Get Eberspacher from places like FCP and Autohauz. I suspect PeachParts sells them too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta love it. I can get the rear muffler for under $500 from my dealership. It is a Mercedes logo muffler but its not made of gold. Get Eberspacher from places like FCP and Autohauz. I suspect PeachParts sells them too.
Thats a great deal! I tried FCP, but I actually found a new Eberspaecher muffler on Ebay for around $300.

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
I bought mine from the dealership (it is for a W201 but basically a similar muffler). It cost me $200.
Earlier I bought the last silencer left in North America that was also OEM and that cost me $250.
These are both for W201 but I believe very similarly built.

I believe both are made by Ebersprecher. The Dealer ones are painted dark grey to match the rest of the grey trim.
Ebersprecher direct ones are the same in Silver. In my case I could have saved $100 total if I went direct with Ebersprecher. I like the way the Grey tail pipe looks, but certainly not for $1000 extra!

- Cheers!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the Eberspaecher rear muffler installed today, took all of 15 minutes by a local muffler shop. They quoted and charged me $75. They did a good job, but that was the quickest made $75 I've ever seen, and they had to cut the old one off!

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
Great!, hopefully they did not weld it in. It all goes together with clamps and bolts. That way you can service it yourself next time (in case you need a new resonator) and save the $75.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
$75 for 15 minutes in a shop isn't that bad. They had the lift, they did the work, they had the tools. If you were doing this on your back, it would take at least 45 minutes. You DO have to cut the old one off but not in the traditional sense. The rear muffler slips over the pipe exiting the center muffler. What you do is put a slice in the outer pipe. The slice starts at the end of the rear muffler pipe and runs parallel to the rear muffler pipe being careful not to cut into the pipe inside it Stop cutting when you see the inner pipe through your slice. Keep extending the slice until you have a six or seven inch slice. Then you just spread the slice open with a large screwdriver. This increases the diameter of the outer pipe and looses its grip on the inner pipe coming from the center muffler. A little wiggling (of the muffler) and its off with no damage to the pipe you need to put the new muffler on. You can use a hacksaw to make the slice but that is tough laying on your back looking upward. A wiz wheel is best for this job.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great!, hopefully they did not weld it in. It all goes together with clamps and bolts. That way you can service it yourself next time (in case you need a new resonator) and save the $75.
That's a good point, I
They did clamp it on, but unfortunately the next muffler attached to the new rear muffler upstream, (I presume the resonator you mentioned) the
connector/flange was previously eliminated and welded because it had rotted out. So I had it cut off and they welded a sleeve on because the rest of the system was still good. So I guess when it's time to replace the resonator I'll end up replacing the rest. What's the symptoms of a bad resonator? I still have much to learn...thx

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$75 for 15 minutes in a shop isn't that bad. They had the lift, they did the work, they had the tools. If you were doing this on your back, it would take at least 45 minutes. You DO have to cut the old one off but not in the traditional sense. The rear muffler slips over the pipe exiting the center muffler. What you do is put a slice in the outer pipe. The slice starts at the end of the rear muffler pipe and runs parallel to the rear muffler pipe being careful not to cut into the pipe inside it Stop cutting when you see the inner pipe through your slice. Keep extending the slice until you have a six or seven inch slice. Then you just spread the slice open with a large screwdriver. This increases the diameter of the outer pipe and looses its grip on the inner pipe coming from the center muffler. A little wiggling (of the muffler) and its off with no damage to the pipe you need to put the new muffler on. You can use a hacksaw to make the slice but that is tough laying on your back looking upward. A wiz wheel is best for this job.
Sounds like you've been down that road a few times before...lol. that was a great visual!

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
Resonators eventually corrode from within and develop holes. You will hear it sounding like a vespa scooter.
I patched mine for a few years with success, eventually changed it out.

·
Premium Member
10,074 Posts
Man.....I went down this road, wore the T-shirt...on both cars. Had a muffler shop put in their version of a resonator, complete with 'weep holes' that let out exhaust and made noise on the original TE. On the present car, someone had tried to repair the cat and made a mess. That exploded on me and caught fire on a trip home. So.....from the cat back I had a solid system (for now) and had the shop weld in the cat from my old TE.

Took two systems to make one.....lol.

Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
5 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing