Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hELLO every body i have a cl500 02 with 85,000 miles on it, they did the multipoint inspection at benz and found out that i had a rear mian seal leak, i need your help and advise on the subject to be prepared when i perform the repair, is it something i can take it to the indi or its a must to take it to benz?

what are my options here ?

thanks a million in advanced for your responses.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
At the very least, I would take it to the indie for a second opinion.

Many of these engines will develop a small seep at the rear main. And most often it can be ignored, particularly when it's not even enough that you have noticed it.

But if it really needs to be replaced, a qualified indie can indeed do the work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
At the very least, I would take it to the indie for a second opinion.

Many of these engines will develop a small seep at the rear main. And most often it can be ignored, particularly when it's not even enough that you have noticed it.

But if it really needs to be replaced, a qualified indie can indeed do the work.

Good luck.
Agreed! Mine was diagnosed with a seep at the rear main as well. I have never even had to add a drop of oil between changes at 10k intervals.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your responses i am very glad to hear that i will b ok for a while, i do have another question ? my indi detected another small leak in the left and right valve covers the mechanic showed me when he took off the plastic that covers the engine there was a liitle bit of a mold type of substance black i guess engine oil? what should i do about that one do i have time to fix it ??
what are my options ?
any cheap repairs?

thanks a million to all for your responses.

·
Registered
56 Posts
thank you for your responses i am very glad to hear that i will b ok for a while, i do have another question ? my indi detected another small leak in the left and right valve covers the mechanic showed me when he took off the plastic that covers the engine there was a liitle bit of a mold type of substance black i guess engine oil? what should i do about that one do i have time to fix it ??
what are my options ?
any cheap repairs?

is no cheap repairs on the w215, get ready for some fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
what are my options ?
any cheap repairs?

That is actually seeping from the BREATHER covers, which sit atop the valve covers. Mechanics love to say it's the valve covers, because that's a big bill.

The breather covers are easy enough to reseal, and yes that should be done. Again, any decent indie can do this job for you. It's all labor, because there is no gasket, just a special sealant is used. I'd guess it's perhaps 2 shop hours, perhaps less. Most of that time is just spent getting the old sealant off, too. It's not a difficult DIY, either.

Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again to all for the responses, hey code have you done the prosess you described me earlier that sounds very interesting and a life saver ? could you post some pics if you did it ? ]

thank you very much !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts