Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear Main Seal?? Help!

16K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  43sqd 
#1 ·
I went to the dealership this morning to get a complimentary 25-point inspection. The results included a leaking rear main seal. They told me this in January when I was there, but when I took it to my local transmission shop he fixed a valve stem gasket. After the free inspection I brought it back to the transmission shop and he said it is likely to be another leak that has to do with the valve or whatever. Has anyone had any experience with the rear main seal leaking?
Thanks

Discussion starter · #3 ·
yeah i mis-typed.
The strange thing is that back in January when the Mercedes Dealership thought it was a rear main seal, my independent Transmission Shop replaced the valve cover gasket. Is it unusual for rear main seals OR valve cover gaskets to fail?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I just havent seen this except in three places on the forums, and it was 'lightly' discussed. Anyways, thanks for your help; looks like its another 800 bucks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.