Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used "search" and couldn't find an answer other than "its a common problem, have it fixed under warrarnty." The rear liftgate on my 2000 ML320 feels and sounds like its locking when I use the remote but I can still open it and set the alarm off. All other doors lock fine. When I hold my hand on the lifgate lock area I can feel it trying to lock when I press the lock button but no dice. I've got an aftermarket warranty but don't think this will be covered, I'll take a better look at later. Any easier fixes than the standard $800 at the dealership?

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Most likely the lock actuator in the hatch. Have heard of a few failing but not experienced it myself. Why does your dealer have an $800 fee for doing anything?? This should not be anywhere near that cost.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
I had four of them on my MY99 before the design was changed. Seems a weak plastic actuator was used which eventually broke. The list price is not too bad, something around $40 so figure 1 hour labor and you are at about $150 or so.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
338 Posts
EuroCoupe - 2/5/2005 9:44 AM

I used "search" and couldn't find an answer other than "its a common problem, have it fixed under warrarnty." The rear liftgate on my 2000 ML320 feels and sounds like its locking when I use the remote but I can still open it and set the alarm off. All other doors lock fine. When I hold my hand on the lifgate lock area I can feel it trying to lock when I press the lock button but no dice. I've got an aftermarket warranty but don't think this will be covered, I'll take a better look at later. Any easier fixes than the standard $800 at the dealership?
There is a chance that it may still get replaced under mfg warranty since it is a know design defect. I'd give it a try...if the dealer doesn't cooperate, i'd call the regional rep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts