Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find this in the forum, so I apologize if it's out there.

How to I replace my rear license plate light? I know there are 2.... I have 1 burnt out. I see two screws from the outside of the car. Is it as easy as removing those two to replace the bulb from the outside.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Remove the black plastic cover behind the tag in the trunk lid.
The bulbs are right there.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Inside the trunk, on the back or underside of the trunk lid, there is a cover. The cover has pins that pull out of the center of another (outer) push-pin. Think of it as a bulls eye pin with the bulls eye pulling out separately from the outer ring, then the outer ring pulling out. These work as fasteners instead of screws/bolts. Pull the center pin and the outer pin comes out easily. Then you can remove the cover and access the lights easily.

Regards

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
MAX BLAKELY - 2/17/2005 10:30 PM

The cover has pins that pull out of the center of another (outer) push-pin. Think of it as a bulls eye pin with the bulls eye pulling out separately from the outer ring, then the outer ring pulling out.
Max- Thanks a lot for the explaination. When I got my car last month I was trying to get to the emergency top release on the left side of the trunk (just so I would know where it was in case I ever needed it). I could not figure out how to get that panel off. I do know that pulling really hard on the outer pin before removing the inner pin does not work.[:D] I was going to ask the dealer next week but you have saved me from asking another silly question.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't been able to get this to work yet :) But I'm still trying.

I got the center pins pulled.... They don't come ALL the way out though, right? I'm going to try for the outter pin next. I tried a bit yesterday, but it still wasn't budging.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
The inner pin does come all the way out. Then I got a screwdriver blade under the lower half to help get it started out. It also comes all the way out. So you end up with 2 pieces removed for each pin. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks so much. I had been afraid to apply too much pressure to the center pin,in case it wasn't really supposed to come out.

The light has been replaced, and the annoying light on the dash is gone once again :)

Thanks again,

Bill

·
Registered
C 240
14 Posts
Thank you everyone for the input.
I have just replaced one of the plate lights. It worked nice and smooth. A five minutes job [:)]

Have a nice week, without too much snow, for us up North here, and lots of sun for the lucky southern ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts