Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, need some help. 1998 ML 320. Both bulbs are out and the screws are stripped and rusted, broken off (that hold the lenses in place), I was able to remove the lenses and access the bulbs. I need to remove that plastic trim housing that houses the lights. I barely removed one phillps head screw, got the other one to start spinning, now stripped and cannot be pulled out. It is recessed, so I will figure it out. The part that I need to remove is 163 740 01 93. From photos, looks like 2 screws that I addressed, PLUS 2 studs one the side. Are these studs for the door lock mechanism so I need to remove the inside trim? Do I slide the trim to the left (has right angle traps for the heads of the studs)? Received a repair order from the police. Any help appreciated. I am able to remove this plastic trim, I will get new housings (lenses are still available) and I will make stainless backer nuts (epoxied in).

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,139 Posts
Folks, need some help. 1998 ML 320. Both bulbs are out and the screws are stripped and rusted, broken off (that hold the lenses in place), I was able to remove the lenses and access the bulbs. I need to remove that plastic trim housing that houses the lights. I barely removed one phillps head screw, got the other one to start spinning, now stripped and cannot be pulled out. It is recessed, so I will figure it out. The part that I need to remove is 163 740 01 93. From photos, looks like 2 screws that I addressed, PLUS 2 studs one the side. Are these studs for the door lock mechanism so I need to remove the inside trim? Do I slide the trim to the left (has right angle traps for the heads of the studs)? Received a repair order from the police. Any help appreciated. I am able to remove this plastic trim, I will get new housings (lenses are still available) and I will make stainless backer nuts (epoxied in).
You will need to get outside flap 163 740 16 93 9999 and have it painted to match. Flap comes with licence plate lights and lenses.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
If the flap needs replacing a Pick a Part yard if your Ml is a popular color or is your flap black. If replacing the flap and the screw is stripped you can carefully break up the existing plastic flap to get the screw out.

Since both lights are out are you sure it is not in the wiring? Weird to have 2 out the same time unless one burnt out some time ago and went unnoticed.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I am trying to salvage the plastic trim piece. Its quite expensive and will require painting to match. The lenses are available and not expensive. Anyone with experience installing this trim piece? The two screws I get, its just that lateral support studs on part diagrams that bother me. I tried messaging it from the outside and it seems rather firm.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You folks are awesome and thank you for the support. Yep, I figured would have remove the tailgate inner trim. The rear wiper motor is a bit noisy anyway. Too bad they could not make it as a pure install from the outside.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
If you need the Flap (the lens screw hole are striped out) let me know color. There was an early ML with the interior panels already off at my local pick a part, i cant remember color it is think someone went after the wiper motor.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
i was thinking it be screwed on to spring clips or caged nuts. It is actually a screw on one side and a nut on the other?
Yep, it's a nut on the other side on the panel. (removed this to install backup cam at this location).

Another note - use a dab of anti-seize on these screws and bolts. The difference in the metals, overtime, can literally 'spot weld' them together and make it very difficult to remove the screw(s) or the built-in nut on the body with break off and spin. Similar issues with license plate screws at the rear panel and windshield wiper fasteners.
If it's really tight, use some penetrant and let it soak before attempting again.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Yep, it's a nut on the other side on the panel. (removed this to install backup cam at this location).

Another note - use a dab of anti-seize on these screws and bolts. The difference in the metals, overtime, can literally 'spot weld' them together and make it very difficult to remove the screw(s) or the built-in nut on the body with break off and spin. Similar issues with license plate screws at the rear panel and windshield wiper fasteners.
If it's really tight, use some penetrant and let it soak before attempting again.
The one place you would expect it to be straight into sheet metal, or a spring clip. What a PITA!

On a side note what back up cam you use? my wife has an interest in one.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
The one place you would expect it to be straight into sheet metal, or a spring clip. What a PITA!

On a side note what back up cam you use? my wife has an interest in one.

Our brand was a Boscam H1 HD (amazon canada) (they are pretty much all similar in guts (except for the led layout on the body)
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 8.29.03 AM.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts