Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone successfully deleted the Rear Level Shocks and replaced with non stock sport suspension?

I am looking at a H&R spring set with a rear shock combination.

any suggestions?

I see that Munroe has a set but not for self level setup.

My wagon has gotten very squirmy.

Brand new tie rods in the front.

Did a four wheel alignment and not much change.

Wagon rear has sagged and not interested in fixing the accumulators / pumps / etc.

My 94 e320 wagon has 260,000 kms on it. owned it since it had 13,000 kms somewhere around 1998....

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
my wagon's SLS hasn't worked in years and i have no issues....as long as the accumulators + springs are in shape, you should be ok.

Changing out to real shocks is going to be a much more difficult process.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Member bsmuwk says he's successfully converted several wagons over to using sedan rear suspensions, so you might ask him about his experiences. Personally, I like SLS and can't fathom why someone would want to delete such a useful feature, but everyone follows their pathway in life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, good points. i'll check out the accumulators but i figured that the shocks are 17 going on 18 yrs old and might be time to change em.

i'll dig a little further into the options and report back!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi
just a quick point, they aren't 'shocks', they are hydraulic rams, if they aren't leaking or seized there isn't much to go wrong with them.
The accumulators handle the damping...they do rupture the diaphragm, not a big or particularly expensive fix to replace (did mine myself), gives a kind of 'squirrelly' ride.
The valve body controls ride height, check for adjustment and leaks, you can put the car up on ramps and move the lever to test the rams are moving (engine running)*

*make sure you work out which way is up...you don't want the car coming down while you're under it.....;)

cheers

·
Registered
760 Posts
okay, good points. i'll check out the accumulators but i figured that the shocks are 17 going on 18 yrs old and might be time to change em.
I rec you use "search" above to learn about SLS. Also do the same at peachparts dot com. You need to learn about how to take care of SLS, as MB does not say anything about it in your owners's manual, and you've owned that car for quite some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts