Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a R107 450 from 1980 with leaking differential oil because of damaged boot.
Would like to replace the boot but i do not manage yet to remove the half shaft from the wheel and differential.
Can anyone help me with detailed instruction how to remove the half shaft,
Rgds
Philip

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,344 Posts
Hi I have a R107 450 from 1980 with leaking differential oil because of damaged boot.
Would like to replace the boot but i do not manage yet to remove the half shaft from the wheel and differential.
Can anyone help me with detailed instruction how to remove the half shaft,
Rgds
Philip
Damaged boot and leaking diff oil are two different things. They are not related.
Many threads on half shaft removal / install. Please try the search function. If you have additional questions....post away.

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
1,319 Posts
Regardless of whether it is your drive shaft boot or diff seal, it is a very tricky job to do either, since the diff needs to be dropped to allow the axles to be withdrawn.

Lots of info here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a broken boot on left rear axle linked to differential. Liquid oil was leaking. Does this mean the seal to the differential is leaking or could it only come from the oil inside the boot? How do i know the seal from diff is leaking?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,180 Posts
This link may help. Our 107s have same rear axles as the W123 sedans.

Have a good look and maybe post some pics. If the boots are split, it should be obvious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a picture of my rear left axle on my R107 from 1980. How can I see that leak is limited to boot crack or could there additionally be leak in differential sealing. Fluid oil cam out of the boot when it started leaking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,180 Posts
Here's a picture of my rear left axle on my R107 from 1980. How can I see that leak is limited to boot crack or could there additionally be leak in differential sealing. Fluid oil cam out of the boot when it started leaking.
If that is a tear in the boot that I see, then that needs fixing right away. There is a seal where the axle enters the diff, but there doesn't seem to be oil leakage over there. Some owners change those seals anyway when installing new or rebooting existing axles.

There is a lot of discussion on bot replacement methods over on the Peachparts Diesel forum. I guess those 123 diesels get driven a lot more miles than our SLs. Axles are same so discussions there are relevant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts