Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My rear headrest wont go down. I press the button and they stay upright. I checked the fuses, seems to be okay. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Hey,

My rear headrest wont go down. I press the button and they stay upright. I checked the fuses, seems to be okay. Whats the deal?
What is this magic button you are pressing? Do you mean the star-button at the front? Is it configured to control rear headrests? What happens from the rear door switches? Which fuses did you check?

It would be good to have the car diagnosed if all fuses are OK. You can actuate functions with Star etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is this magic button you are pressing? Do you mean the star-button at the front? Is it configured to control rear headrests? What happens from the rear door switches? Which fuses did you check?

It would be good to have the car diagnosed if all fuses are OK. You can actuate functions with Star etc.

What is this magic button you are pressing? I'm pressing this one in the pic with the little headrest highlighted. Is it configured to control rear headrests?According to the manual press the button and the headrest in the rear go down and up. What happens from the rear door switches? Nothing happens when I push it, I dont have the rear door switch option. Which fuses did you check? According to the fuse diagram that came with the car. The rear headrest release fuse is located in the front engine bay (drivers side closest to radiator), fuse #40, 7.5 (brown). Looks good. I think I'll got the STAR route since those fuses are good. There maybe something else I'm missing. Thanks bro for the input.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Sorry, my mistake, my memory said the headrests fold from the configurable button but that is not the case.

From the other forum I saw you already got comments that there may be control unit issues. Star diagnosis would be useful to better figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, what happens with the center headrest if you pull that up and press the button? Wonder if that functions.
Bro, the center rest already up. Humm...maybe I should push it down then press the button, then maybe the outer two will go down.

·
Registered
2007 s550
17 Posts
I know Im late but I just purchase a 2007 s550 with this same issue( rear headrest would not go down). I fixed it myself and it cost about $3.00 so do not run to the dealer for this. This fix is for the cars that do not have the dynamic seats, only lumbar support on the front seats.
I noticed after I started troubleshooting the headrest that my lumbar support was not working either and that's because they are both using the same electric air pump located in the trunk to the left of the battery. If there is any leak in the air system you will hear the pump running for about 30 seconds and shutdown after, that's the tell tell sign that you have a leak somewhere. The air pump runs 2 lines, one (grey) to supply air pressure and the other (black) to sense the pressure in the system.

·
Registered
2007 s550
17 Posts
So, if you hear the pump running all the fuses are fine its just an air leak. You can also verify this by opening and closing doors. Every time you open a door the pump will run for 30 seconds. If it does that, you definitely have a leak. The air line runs from the pump in the trunk to the headrest and to the two front seats for lumbar support. The most prone area for failure is the two front seats due to all the movement of the seats. Lift the front seats as much as possible and hear for air leaks on the lines. When you find them cut the area of the leaky line and replace that section of the line with a new line available at any auto parts store. That will fix your headrest and your lumbar support. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2011 S350 Bluetec
32 Posts
Should the head rests go up as well as down? I have the UK S350 Bluetec (SWB) with standard read bench seat (not the reclining versions).

I can hear a servo type noise when the head rests fall, if I press the button again I get the same noise but they don't go back up and stay down if someone sits in the back.

·
Registered
2007 s550
17 Posts
Hi,
At least on the s550, the headrest are design to go down with the button and up by hand. You do hear the noise of the mechanism realesing every time you press the button but they do not go up. They are spring loaded to go down. Hope this helps!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
--ROB-- if your car has the power rear seat option, you should be able to put the outer rear headrests up and down electrically. The center one goes up manually, down electrically. Cars with that option have seat control buttons on the back doors. With that option one seated behind the front passenger seat can also control the position of the front passenger seat from the back.

If you do not have the power rear seat option, each goes up manually, and they go down electrically.

Though I have had my car for a year, one nice feature had escaped my attention - one can control the position of the front passenger seat by pressing the button just past the memory 3 button on the driver's side. Pressing that button lets the driver's seat buttons control the same functions on the passenger seat. That's a nice feature, since the guy who details my car is always leaving that seat out of position (especially the headrest) - something I nearly always fail to notice until I'm driving.

·
Registered
2011 S350 Bluetec
32 Posts
Thanks @Skylaw, my car doesn't have powered read seats so that's why they need to be moved back manually. I did test drive a LWB where they did move back up but that would have had powered rear seats. Thanks.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
There are several options/issues discussed here. Not going to guess which is yours. Do you have power rear seats or not? What are the headrests doing or not doing?

·
Registered
2007 s550
17 Posts
The black and grey tubes are basically the same. You can get a flexible air line at any auto part store to replace the broken part. I believe it's 1/4" air line hose.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 La costa edition
16 Posts
The black and grey tubes are basically the same. You can get a flexible air line at any auto part store to replace the broken part. I believe it's 1/4" air line hose.
Where are those tubes exactly located and how to get to them thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts