Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 300TD
My son had rear seats down to carry luggage and when he reset the seats he misplaced the pins of the rear headrests.
Of the four holes on the wider rear seat he inserted one of the headrests in holes 2/3 instead of 1/2 or 3/4.
We can not remove the headrest now. Tried using a 4x4 and leverage set up, but to no avail. Won’t budge. Tried everything including putting another headrest arm in one of the other holes..... nothing.
There does not appear to be any reason why this won’t come out but there is a definite ‘catch’ when I pull on the headrest.
Am I going to have to disassemble the seat to sort this?
Any assistance appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
708 Posts
Are you pushing in both release buttons since you are in two locations?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Both are depressed. Both buttons work as designed. The headrest will move up and down freely but gets jammed half way out where the lock mechanism is.......
There should be no reason for it to be jammed as each headrest only has only post that locks. Both release buttons depress but the headrest is jammed.
I’ve tried to put a leverage system in place to force it out using a 2x4 and 4x4 but no luck.
I may try this set up using a bottle jack.....

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you put one leg of a headrest in the 2 spare holes you may manage then????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Boyd.... I’ve tried everything. Your suggestions have been tried as mentioned in OP.
I’m hoping that there’s an option other than my “nuclear” one of removed the seat and disassembling it. That looks like a PITA....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorted.
Took a 5 ton jack and a setup as shown in photo but out it popped.
The pins are in a U shape inside the headrest so the pressure exerted to remove them was not an issue.
I ran a 4x4 underneath the headrest and placed one end on top of another 4x4 that was standing on the back floor and the other end was on the jack. I raised the jack until the headrest popped out.
Didn’t damage headrest in anyway or the seat back.
Not exactly from the Mercedes maintenance manual but it worked....
Headrests now fit correctly and go in and out as designed.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Glad you got it out. Shouldn't have been that difficult though???
I was super cautious today when I dropped my back seats to load up, thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Boyd,
Certainly should not have been that difficult, but since I did that I took the time to troll some forums and found out that there have been a number of instances whereby owners have used a similar aggressive method to remove the rear headrests.
Regards

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
Sounds like the boys in the engineering design department overlooked that possibility. Glad you got it out. I was going to suggest putting a slice down the length of a plastic tube (think half inch drinking straw) and wrapping it around the chrome mounting bars. Then working it down (hopefully) passed the locking mechanism. Kind of like using a credit card in a door latch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts