Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 B200 manual
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear hatch has worked itself loose at the hinge on one side, so it moves up and down slightly as I open and close it (slotted holes for adjustment). I have to remove a plug in the upholstery on the inside to get at the bolts, which have external torx heads (inverse of the usual torx head screw).

Does anyone here happen to know, or is anyone able to look up easily, the size of the external torx socket required?

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,527 Posts
I've had to adjust mine a few years back due to a poor "dealer recall fix". Their adjustment quickly became loose causing one side of the hatch to move up or down when closing.

Remove the interior roof liner cap by rotating it 90° and pulling the cap off.

Looking deep inside you will see a Torx head. Use a long or medium 3/8" extension to reach the bolt(s). The socket needed is Torx "E 12".

Make sure that the red exterior brake lens on the car body does not touch the hatch body after adjusting. This might mean that the hatch sits a touch higher than the roof line.

One of the few places that has these sockets readily available is Princess Auto for no money........set of E4 to E16 for ~$9.99.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,527 Posts
You're welcome.......:thumbsup:

When adjusting the hatch...try to leave ~1/16" minimum between the red body lens and the closest point of hatch contact. If you leave less, the flexing of the body will definitely make contact after a while.

I added a few coats of paint where mine had made slight contact. This fix should go well for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts