Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E-230 '96
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does the rear fog light of a Mercedes only illuminate on one side? The reason I ask is because mine's like that. Only the R/H rear fog light illuminates when switched on. When I swapped position of the bulb, it's still the R/H that illuminate, which means that the bulb itself is OK. I have also notice that there are a lot of Benzs showed the same characteristic. Initially I thought it was a blown bulb but now I'm experiencing the same thing. If this is normal for a Benz, then, any possible reason for doing so? I also have a BMW but the rear F/L illuminate on both sides. I appreciate any help from anybody. Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance guys.

rgds

·
Registered
98 E320
30 Posts
I don't know why, but that's the way MB engineered it. I had a police officer pull me over one night to tell me I had a taillight out. I'm not sure he believes me to this day, but at least he didn't cite me for it. That would have been a fun one to go to court with.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550
79 Posts
mine does that too...i was told by the dealer i bought my car from that this was how it was manufactured.

since then i have checked approx 5 other mercedes e,s,and c class and they all only have one light working....i even tried to have it hooked up to work and they told me it can't be done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Black Stallion - 5/11/2005

Does the rear fog light of a Mercedes only illuminate on one side? The reason I ask is because mine's like that.
Correct. The reason only one side illuminates is so that those behind you don't think you're stepping on the brakes. Both the fog light bulb and brake light bulbs are the same, higher wattage. Mine's on the left side as it's a LHD car.

·
Registered
2010 C300 Sport 4matic
46 Posts
The reason I was told that only one rear light works when the switch is put in that position is that it is not really a fog light in the rear. It is a parking light. It is always the rear light on the roadway side of the auto: left in countries that drive on the right and right in countries that drive on the left. In a lot of countries the streets are narrow and when parked the cars are very close to the traffic lanes. This lighting arrangement allows you to park your car and turn on the one rear taillight as a warning to overtaking cars. Don't know for sure that's a fact but it make more sense than a lot of other guesses I've heard.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
They are rear fog lights and they are made to light up on the drivers side. It will depend on what country you are in for what side is wired up. There are bulb sockets on both sides for that reason. You can connect the non working side to the other one so that both light up. That will look like you are stepping on the brake if you run with them on. I installed lower wattage bulbs and connected both of them so they look like the running lights.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
rander - 5/14/2005 11:04 PM

The reason I was told that only one rear light works when the switch is put in that position is that it is not really a fog light in the rear. It is a parking light. It is always the rear light on the roadway side of the auto: left in countries that drive on the right and right in countries that drive on the left. In a lot of countries the streets are narrow and when parked the cars are very close to the traffic lanes. This lighting arrangement allows you to park your car and turn on the one rear taillight as a warning to overtaking cars. Don't know for sure that's a fact but it make more sense than a lot of other guesses I've heard.
What you are talking about are called "Standing Lamps". These are the positions on the headlight switch when it is rotated to the far left. Either the left or right taillight is turned on when the car is parked along the side of the road to make the vehicle more visiable to passing vehicles. They do not operate when the key in in position 2 so the car has to be shut off.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
E-Klasse - 5/15/2005 2:58 PM
I installed lower wattage bulbs and connected both of them so they look like the running lights.
I'd done the same but with high/normal wattage bulbs (looked rice-ish). Great idea with the low wattage bulbsE-Klasse, once again i'm humbled by your ingenuity, and am kicking myself for not thinking to fit the lower wattage bulbs myself (D'OH!!!). Will look for some in the morning.[:I]

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
It´s a good idea to have the low wattage bulbs in both sides to use it as running ligths, but then you loose the great security feature of having fog/heavy raining/snowing lights. This light multiply by several times the distance that you are seen in bad weather conditions. I suggest that is better to leave your rear fog lights as they are. If you don´t like it to light up in just one side, then hook up another bulb in the other side of the same wattage, if the sensor doesn´t start to give you the "bulb malfunction" message. This fog lights are there to help prevent an accident.It´s better to have it and not use it, than needing it and not having the opportunity to use it.[:(]
And, please, don´t turn it on under normal conditions. It bothers a lot on your eyes when you stop behind a car with this light on without fog or rain.[xx(]

·
Registered
W210 E-230 '96
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Storm. - 5/15/2005 10:12 AM

Best advice is to "upgrade" to post 99 tail lights (they look better as well).
Thanks Storm. BTW, mine has been upgraded to a post "99" tail-lights when I got the car last couple of months. In fact, just to share with you guys, I bought this particular car mainly because of its tail-lights (other than the fact that MB's are good cars). Yeah, you're right, they are really stunning when compared to the pre'99' unit. I never noticed it before this.

rgds

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
You can have the car options set to run all of the parking lights all the time to illuminate the rear of the car during the day, leaving the rear fog lights to properly act as rear foglights.

This option is enabled in all Canadian W210 cars, but can be disabled if the owner chooses.

·
Registered
W210 E-230 '96
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
E-Klasse - 5/16/2005 10:58 PM

There are bulb sockets on both sides for that reason. You can connect the non working side to the other one so that both light up.
E-Klasse, did you do it yourself or you got somebody to do it for you? I had a look at the light assembly and it seems that I need to have a wire with special end-fitting to connect it to the light assembly wiring socket. The fitting, for your info, is not a standard male/female type of fitting that you find in a typical automotive wiring. It looks much smaller. Thanks a lot.

rgds

1 - 14 of 14 Posts