Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, just found out how to activate the front fog lights and confirmed that my left rear fog light works with the bottom of the light switch pressed in. Is there really on ONE fog light? Why not two?:confused:

BTW, is it preferable to have the dealer activate the front fog lights or is it okay to use the home version connecting the relays with a short jumper wire?

thanks in advance,

dave

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Could you take pics of these rear fog lights you speak of...my bumper is void of them and I would like to see. Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you take pics of these rear fog lights you speak of...my bumper is void of them and I would like to see. Thanks!
Actually, the rear fog light is built-in to the left taillight bottom (USA model). With the car ignition on/running and the headlights on, pressing the bottom of the dash button turns on the rear fog light. Not sure why there is not one on the passenger side.

From what I understand, the front fog lights (also built-in to the headlights) can be activated through the same switch either by a jumper wire + bulbs or dealer activation ($$$)...

I am ready to try the jumper wire but wonder if it is wise. On the other hand, having been out of work for 7 months, the jumper wire is most attractive.:eek:

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Goto Walmart and buy a fused line ($1.27)...use that to jumper the lights.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,095 Posts
USA DOT Law

and confirmed that my left rear fog light works with the bottom of the light switch pressed in. Is there really on ONE fog light? Why not two?:confused:

dave
Ran accross this post by mistake, but I know the answer to your rear fog only working on left side...

This same question comes up a lot, in euro version Benz both left and right rear fogs are wired up and work as expected. On all USA version cars, only drivers side is provided for, because of US DOT regulation that prohibits BOTH Rear fogs, ONLY Emergency vehicles in the US are allowed to have both, so Benz only wired up the left side to comply.

But, if your Benz is similar to mine, it may be doable. You look inside the right side tail light housing and compare it to the leftside, you'll most likely find an empty contact socket where the bulb should go. If it's like my W124, also left out was the actual copper contact and wire that would go to it.

I wanted both to work, so I got a contact out of a parts car and ran a wire over to the left side rear Fog Light. Works great, I know it's illegal, but I doubt if anyone will ever pick it up, even at the annual inspection. No one in the USA even knows they exist outside of a few Euro types...lol

PS: The lense for the rear fog is such that it really directs strong light backwards, so running with both fogs in a situation where they are not needed can be annoying for those following you. In my w124, the fog bulb is the same as a brake light, much brighter than the tail lights. If you do wire the right side up, only use them in low visability conditions, (Or for the driver on your bumper with his hight-beams on...lol)

What bothered me about having only one work was the obvious attention you will get with the single fog working. I think your more likely to get pulled over by a cop with only one working, then you have to explain rear fog light, the DOT regulation, both of which no one ever heard before.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Ran accross this post by mistake, but I know the answer to your rear fog only working on left side...

This same question comes up a lot, in euro version Benz both left and right rear fogs are wired up and work as expected. On all USA version cars, only drivers side is provided for, because of US DOT regulation that prohibits BOTH Rear fogs, ONLY Emergency vehicles in the US are allowed to have both, so Benz only wired up the left side to comply.

But, if your Benz is similar to mine, it may be doable. You look inside the right side tail light housing and compare it to the leftside, you'll most likely find an empty contact socket where the bulb should go. If it's like my W124, also left out was the actual copper contact and wire that would go to it.

I wanted both to work, so I got a contact out of a parts car and ran a wire over to the left side rear Fog Light. Works great, I know it's illegal, but I doubt if anyone will ever pick it up, even at the annual inspection. No one in the USA even knows they exist outside of a few Euro types...lol

PS: The lense for the rear fog is such that it really directs strong light backwards, so running with both fogs in a situation where they are not needed can be annoying for those following you. In my w124, the fog bulb is the same as a brake light, much brighter than the tail lights. If you do wire the right side up, only use them in low visability conditions, (Or for the driver on your bumper with his hight-beams on...lol)

What bothered me about having only one work was the obvious attention you will get with the single fog working. I think your more likely to get pulled over by a cop with only one working, then you have to explain rear fog light, the DOT regulation, both of which no one ever heard before.
Could you please provide a link to said DOT law? I'm asking because Jaguars, some Audis, Land Rovers, and heck even the Oldsmobile Aurora have dual rear fog lights. Cars that have a single rear fog light in the US have a single rear fog light in the ROW as well.

Single is much better because dual rear fogs do mimic brake lights in intensity. In low visibility situations due to the intensity of the two rear fogs matching the brake lights, when the brake lights do light up the person behind you isn't going to react as quickly to the brake lights.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
True about the Police...I was pulled over twice in 2 weeks close to my house by a local LEO who hadn't seen it before.

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
909 Posts
So don't run rear fog lights on the road they you don't need to worry about LE. For me the only necessary use would be off road anyway.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Fog lights are there for safety...I was pulled over because he thought I had a light out...when in actuallity I didn't. He was nice about it...

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Fog lights are there for safety...I was pulled over because he thought I had a light out...when in actuallity I didn't. He was nice about it...
Was it foggy out? There's a reason they're called fog lights. Using them in clear weather is counter intuitive and dangerous for the drivers behind you.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
There is one rear fog so it does not look like you are braking in the fog and cause accidents behind you.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,095 Posts
Single is much better because dual rear fogs do mimic brake lights in intensity. In low visibility situations due to the intensity of the two rear fogs matching the brake lights, when the brake lights do light up the person behind you isn't going to react as quickly to the brake lights.
Hi, this is a very sensitive topic, with boths sides, ( single of dual), making their cases for why. I have seen your reasoning given over and over again, and the other school of thought has something they beleive justifies two lights. I have some links for you to read, I left them at work, and rather than google all these things over again, I'll post the links from work tomorrow.

Your first question has an elusive answer, not quite found it yet myself, but after reading a lot on the topic it seems that regulations may be adopting the idea of the rear fog light, and in some states, (California and Oregon are example), having dual fog lights is legal. This whole issue may be at the state DOT level right now, which would be a problem if you drove into a state that only allowed a single for that type light.

Basically, the argument FOR dual rear fogs is centered strictly around using them ONLY in cases of severe fog. The dual set up improves visability for the following driver, (he will see you sooner), and two lights set far apart gives depth perception to the following driver which a single light can not give.

The real big issue is that people should not use them at all unless there is a severe fog, only there will the dual lights show their worth. The single and the dual setup should never be used under ordinary situations, then the argument you have becomes valid.

Just google "Rear Foglights" you'll be surprised what will pop up, last count I saw eariler today was over 50 pages of hits, tough reading and I actually read the Oregon reulation that allows single or dual. Another poster found in the google search said he found the California reg's which were the same, and he said most states only allow singles...

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Hi, this is a very sensitive topic, with boths sides, ( single of dual), making their cases for why. I have seen your reasoning given over and over again, and the other school of thought has something they beleive justifies two lights. I have some links for you to read, I left them at work, and rather than google all these things over again, I'll post the links from work tomorrow.

Your first question has an elusive answer, not quite found it yet myself, but after reading a lot on the topic it seems that regulations may be adopting the idea of the rear fog light, and in some states, (California and Oregon are example), having dual fog lights is legal. This whole issue may be at the state DOT level right now, which would be a problem if you drove into a state that only allowed a single for that type light.

Basically, the argument FOR dual rear fogs is centered strictly around using them ONLY in cases of severe fog. The dual set up improves visability for the following driver, (he will see you sooner), and two lights set far apart gives depth perception to the following driver which a single light can not give.

The real big issue is that people should not use them at all unless there is a severe fog, only there will the dual lights show their worth. The single and the dual setup should never be used under ordinary situations, then the argument you have becomes valid.

Just google "Rear Foglights" you'll be surprised what will pop up, last count I saw eariler today was over 50 pages of hits, tough reading and I actually read the Oregon reulation that allows single or dual. Another poster found in the google search said he found the California reg's which were the same, and he said most states only allow singles...
I would love to see the links because they sound like they counter everything that I've read in the past. USDOT currently doesn't require rear fog lights like they do in countries following UNECE automotive regulations. It doesn't make sense to me that each state has its own specific regulations for rear fog lights. Why is it that all MBs have a single rear fog light and all second generation Oldsmobile Auroras have dual rear fog lights?

The reasoning for dual rears in regard to depth perception is valid. However if you're driving in conditions that foggy you shouldn't be so close as to need two to figure out the distance between the car in front and you.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
And we shouldn't live in a society that blames everything on "the other person" and we should have world peace and we should have unicorns and rainbows everyday. There are alot of things that SHOULD be, but aren't. People seem to be (around DC) inherently stupid drivers. Each day I drive down 270, I am guaranteed to be held up by one shmuck in the "passing lane" doing 45MPH (65MPH Road). Additionally, it is illegal to go more than 20MPH under the posted speedlimit...but LEO's do not pull people over. Just because you shouldn't be following someone that closely...doesn't mean it won't happen. Those fellas over at MB Engineering Dept. know that...and made the rear fogs for just such a happenstance.

My opinion.

BTW Asian...yes it was foggy...hence the fog lights being on. And yes...whether foggy or not...the police officer still pulls people over for breaking the law :)

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,095 Posts
I would love to see the links because they sound like they counter everything that I've read in the past. USDOT currently doesn't require rear fog lights like they do in countries following UNECE automotive regulations. It doesn't make sense to me that each state has its own specific regulations for rear fog lights. Why is it that all MBs have a single rear fog light and all second generation Oldsmobile Auroras have dual rear fog lights?

The reasoning for dual rears in regard to depth perception is valid. However if you're driving in conditions that foggy you shouldn't be so close as to need two to figure out the distance between the car in front and you.
To asianml:

Like I said this topic is a sensitive one because people seem to be polarized as to which is the "Proper" solution.

After many pages of reading, it's very apparant to me that there is a outcry against the misuse of fog lights in general, not just the rear ones. This is key to understanding that drivers are misusings their lights, and the addition of a second rear foglight will get you two stories every time.

I am not going to argue this point with anyone, or try to change their point of view. If you beleive there should be "NO, or ONE, or TWO" rear fog lights it's up to you. For me personally, I choose TWO for additional safety so that no one will rear-end me in very low visability conditions. The justification is that I will never use them when they are not needed.

If you choose only one rear Fog for your reasons, thats fine. If you choose no rear fogs at all, again thats fine.

For many generations citizens have driven in the USA without Rear fogs, and unless you live in area that has cronic fog, or blinding snow storms etc., they are of no use at all.

I see both sides of the argument, and I can see merit in both reasoning. But it is strange that people like us live in europe and embrace things differently than we do.

Anyway here are a few links, but just don't let others lead you down the path, get on google and do some homework yourself.

The Red Light District - Indicators and Rear Fog Lights

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

got pulled over for using red rear foglight in a blinding snow storm.... was told rear foglights are ILLEGAL in Virginia, is this true?

Distance perception of vehicle rear lights in fog. (22-SEP-01) Human Factors

Communications Winter Driving Tips

Distance perception of vehicle rear lights in fog. [Hum Factors. 2001] - PubMed Result

I can't find the link to the Oregon regulation allowing two, but it is available, and I did read it yesterday.

The picture I've attached is right out of the wickopedia definition of Rear Fogs. Evidently Chevy wants to sell it's Corvettes enough to euro customers to install 2 rear fog lamps in the factory.

Perhaps the drivers in europe have better manners, (or are at least educated on their proper use), than american drivers. It would be helpful if the Sates DVM's somehow focused on rear fogs because they are new and no one really knows much about their regulations or proper use.

This is my last post on this topic, time to move on....

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
That Vette owner should be shot. Stretched Tires = Stretched An*s

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
IMHO it comes down more to the cosmetics than anything else.

That's right, cosmetics!!! The MB design folks obviously have more juice than the guys in lighting.

In order for dual rear fog lights to be effective, as has already been stated, they have to be clearly identified as not being brake lights.

If you look at vehicles best known for rear fogs, things like the Land Rover Discovery, you will see that the rear fogs (just as in the 'Vette above) are two entirely seperate lights, not even in the same area as the brake/signal lights.

In fact in the case of the Disco they are a few feet away from the taillights.

If it's really foggy or snowy, the bright rear fog lights also greatly diminish the difference between taillights and brake lights. It's really then only the difference between 2 or 4 bright light bulbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts