Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear fog lamps for S420

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pcmaher 
#1 ·
I was changing one of my tail lights, when I realised that the rear fog lamp is on the driver (left side) only. The right side has a blank metal plate. Does anyone know if this is correct and if it can be changed into a bulb? It doesn't make sense to put the rear fog light only on one side of the car.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I researched the fog lamp problem, and it seems that the fog lamp is put on the driver's s...

I researched the fog lamp problem, and it seems that the fog lamp is put on the driver's side only.

#3 ·
RE: I researched the fog lamp problem, and it seems that the fog lamp is put on the driver's s...

I got this info from another person...

The reason they have it only on one side, ie. the drivers side, is so that when you have then on, people dont confuse them with the break lights. The rear foglights are also there so people can see you clearer in the fog when they are behind you.

#5 ·
Also, with both rear fogs on, the brightness would be too much for the driver behind you... Another reason why it only has single rear fog....

HOWEVER, European/Asian Spec W140s have both left and right fogs....

#9 ·
guydewdney - 5/14/2004 3:31 AM

AKRY - 5/14/2004 7:58 AM
HOWEVER, European/Asian Spec W140s have both left and right fogs....
my uk 1997 140 has one fog - on OUR drivers side... ;)
We have 2 on W140(or at least early ones... or so call, series 1... heh) back in TW... That was the first thing I noticed when we took delivery of our Canadian Spec 400SE back in March 1992.... LOL.. Thought the bulb burned out 'til I opened up the light cover.... ;)

#10 ·
I spent two years in Germany as a teen, and saw the built in fog lights for the first time while there. I thought that was so cool. Every car I saw with the built in fog light only had one light, and it was always on the driver side. My assumption is that it was placed on the driver side to allow passing cars to determine where the slower car was. I saw fog so thick there you literally could only see the fog light. If you know the light is on the driver side, the passing car has good situational awareness when passing so that no collisions occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.