Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear Fog Lamp?

936 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Piotr
I just got my car last week - and spent some time this weekend going through the owners manual. I am particularly intrigued by the "rear fog lamp".

1. Why is it only on the driver's side?

2. Since its really nothing more than an extra tail light bulb - what advantage is it supposed to give me in the fog?

Am I missing something big here?

Thanks...
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
It's my understanding that the rear fog lights are in both sides of the car. Their purp...

It's my understanding that the rear fog lights are in both sides of the car. Their purpose is to let people behind you see you easier, not for your visability. My car does not have rear foglights (though I put a bulb in the switch so I can pull it out and have the nice little orange light illuminate).

· Registered
1992 190E 2.3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you look at the lighting diagram in the owners manual - it clearly notes that the rea...

When you look at the lighting diagram in the owners manual - it clearly notes that the rear fog lamp is drivers side only. There is a spot for the bulb on the passenger side - but the socket isn't wired. Maybe its just one of those things that we'll never understand...

On a slightly different topic - is the orange bulb in the center the only part of the light switch that is illuminated?

· Registered
60 Posts
That is what I was talking about in my previous post. It is the only part that is illum...

That is what I was talking about in my previous post. It is the only part that is illuminated. I believe it takes the same bulbs as your indicators on the cluster (such as the seatbelt light, High beam light, battery light, etc etc).

· Registered
1996 Stang, 1995Jeep
22 Posts
If you search this forum you'll find this topic. Apparently, in Europe MB added the tail ...

If you search this forum you'll find this topic. Apparently, in Europe MB added the tail fog light for driving in the Alps (and autobahn) in fog conditions. The light had the same purpose as the 3rd "cyclop" stop light in the rear windows of the American cars. However, the US MB models were not wired for it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.