Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes SL500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when pulled out to second setting and yellow light illuminates for the rear fog lamp, what is supposed to happen? my drivers light gets brighter but not the right side of the car. is that the way it works? it looks like a right bulb is out when you have it on.

·
Registered
300SL-24 1992 White;BMW X3-3.0 E83 2005 Blue;190E-2.6 1992(sold); BMW 316-1.8 E30 1983(sold)
227 Posts
when pulled out to second setting and yellow light illuminates for the rear fog lamp, what is supposed to happen? my drivers light gets brighter but not the right side of the car. is that the way it works? it looks like a right bulb is out when you have it on.
Yes, that way is normal, but I don't know why the German car design so.:surrender:

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,546 Posts
Hi guys from 1999 I think there is an EU rule for cars that states that the rear fog lights have to be only one because of the brightness it has. I thought it was for the Euro specs cars only but I see now it's for US spec cars too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,799 Posts
Most Euro cars have only one rear fog light!!!! It looks Odd when on!!! I used to think when I saw a M-B or Audi with the light on that, That car MUST have a Lucas eletrical system in it!!!!(You know, a light bulb ALWAYS burnt out)LOL!!!! You all know why The Eurpeans(sp) like warm beer------------- They have Lucas refrigerators!!!!!

·
Registered
2003 E500 Sport, 1995 SL320
129 Posts
What you describe doesn't sound right to me. Certainly many european cars only have one rear fog but my 129 has two of both on the rear. This, of course is safer.
perhaps it's because your car is from the UK... usually the mercedes rear fog light is on the left side (driver's side in LHD cars)... however countries with RHD require the rear fog to be on the right side (driver's side in this case)

perhaps mercedes just lit the right side bulb as well as the left, instead of only lighting the right side? can anyone else with a Uk-spec car shed some light on this (pun intended)

btw, here is a good link regarding rear fog lights:
Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
129 Posts
thanks, i love wikipedia (no matter how much my professors hate it and talk it down lol)

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
13,089 Posts
Now wikipedia is something ANYBODY can add to and post, so it does not automatically mean the content were verified to be correct. We should keep that in mind when reading it (but we usually can learn from it).

·
Registered
129 Posts
you're definitely right on that one... while i'd never bet my life on the validity of its content, its excellent as a quick glance reference about almost anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.