Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320, 1984 300SD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a problem similar to Fikret. I have a wah wah wah sound coming from the right rear. It happens as the car starts moving and is directly related to the speed of the car. I tried rotating the tires and that didn't help. I checked the differential and it had oil. I jacked up the rear and put the car in gear and can hear the noise. Using a screw driver I listened at the differential end and at the wheel end of the drive shaft and the noise appears to coming from the wheel end. Could this be a bad bearing or could it be a bad CV (?) joint? How can you tell? How do you replace these items?

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
How many miles on tires ? How much milage you have? If over 100k, would you know the color of the gear oil ? It might need new differential fluid. I changed mine last week and it was really dirty and though it didn 't make any noise then, it really felt free-er when driving. good luck !

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, G. Sounds like you have isolated it well enough. While it wuld be useful as amaintenance item to change the differential fluid, it won't resolve the noise.

I haven't pulled a RWB on a 210, perhaps one of the guys with the WIS will be kind enough to share the info. But that does indeed sound like what it is.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 E320, 1984 300SD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about 130k. I checked the oil. Level seemed good and color was ok. Noise appears to be coming from the outside end of the axle. I think bearing or CV joint if there is one.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Find an empty parking lot, ideally one near a tall wall (behind a grocery store is often good) so that the wall will reflect sound. Roll down all the windows and then drive straight by with the wall on the right, see if you hear anything. Then do slow circles in each direction so you're really loading the bearing that way. Speed up a little bit (these are full-lock circles, so 5-15 is all you need).

If the sound does not change at all while you are doing the circles, I'd probably lean more to the joint than the bearing. In any event I believe you have to pull the bearing to get to the joint, though. Try PM'ing G-AMG and asking him to check the WIS for you.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Find an empty parking lot, ideally one near a tall wall (behind a grocery store is often good) so that the wall will reflect sound. Roll down all the windows and then drive straight by with the wall on the right, see if you hear anything....Greg
Oh my Greg,

Now the OP will have the additional burden of replacing one, or more, of his window regulators! :D

To gchardis: I am not making light of your problem, I just felt like giving Greg a quick jab tonight!

His advice is always sound so I'd advise you follow it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts