Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 SL, 230 SL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1975 450 SL has a vibration with a low frequency rumbling sound coming from the rear end somplace. It only happens during moderate to hard accelleration from a stop. It seems this could be wheel bearings, CV joints, driveshaft related, or rear differential. Anyone have any experience or clues as to how to narrow down the cause ? The car has 165K miles on it, and otherwise runs fine.

Thanks
Chris Ryan
1975 450 SL
1964 230 SL

·
Registered
380 sl
1 Posts
Rumble in 450

I tried balanceing tires, wheel bearings,
tires(new) and am now replacing u joints. Have you solved this problem yet I do believe it is the ujoint

·
Registered
450 SL, 230 SL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drive train vibration

I finally determined that the center bearing in the driveshaft assembly was completely gone. I replaced the entire drive shaft assembly (front section, rear section w/center bearing and U joint) with a reconditioned unit. No clunks - no vibration - at any speed. Also found transmission mount was bad as well and had it repaired.[:)]

·
Registered
380 SL - 1982
25 Posts
450SL Noise/vibration

Chris, I've read and re-read your post on noise and vibration. I have a couple posts more recent than yours on similar problems on a 380SL. Symptoms seem a little different since my car rumbles/vibrates between 30 - 35 MPH and about 45- 55, and also has a noise/vibration while not moving around 1500 RPM. Would appreciate it you would read my very lengthy posts and give me the benefit of your experience in trouble shooting and solving your problem.

This is my first MB. It appeared to be cherry and I paid top dollar for it, but am rapidly becoming discouraged.

Appreciate your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts