Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380sel 1983
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may remember this subject as a post mid to late last year.Thanks to all those contributed both serious and not.

In attempt to fix my w126's tendancy roll barge like when cornering i asked the forumites for possible solutions taking into consideration i had a very functional self levelling suspension.

My idea was to 'piggy back' (couple or join) a second stabiliser (sway) bar to the first. Pros and cons were discussed. So I went ahead and did it anyway. (I happened to have a spare just lying around.)

Let me just say that i found the resultsamazing. I have lost no ride quality but lost 90% of roll tendacy. There is virtually no sense of traction loss when cornering even at silly (not necessarily unsafe) speeds. The steering is significantly more responsive and crisp. I am very very happy.

I'm not sure wether any improvement is to be gained by those of you that have eliminated your self levelling suspension, but for those that have not and suffer a "lazy rear end" this might just be your ticket. I have included pics. If any one requires info or practical tips to do this PM me. All the best Tarquin (Brad)

Attachments

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
good job with experimentation. I take it the two bars are not welded together? Did they have to be bent to fit? What did you to fit it into the bushings?

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
What about finding if something from another car would fit?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
bump as this should be in the Performance sticky!

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
How do I view the old photos? All I get at my end is that there is a gif/jpg attachment and when I click on any one of them, I get machine language.

Cheers

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
they work fine for me, but just rt clk & "save link as" if they are being fussy.

jono

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
gotcha. that worked. thanks. all the old posts have that problem.

cheers

·
Registered
Deciding on the next restomod project.
97 Posts
This is pretty clever, I like it.

I'd want to make "proper" brackets at the body mount side to support independent bushings and to allow the bars to not bind against each other. Few hours in the workshop should fix it.

Now, about that front bar...

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Thats why I love Australia. They are like america 50 years ago. "Lets go ahead and try it and see what happens" Nice work. I guess the question is, nobody makes a bigger/stiffer bolt in one.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
it's not an uncommon thing to do when aftermarket/thicker bars aren't available.

And these cars NEED to be stiffened up in the rear as evidenced by always falling into understeer unless provoked by a Heavy right foot;-)

Jono

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
it's not an uncommon thing to do when aftermarket/thicker bars aren't available.

And these cars NEED to be stiffened up in the rear as evidenced by always falling into understeer unless provoked by a Heavy right foot;-)

Jono
Stiffening rear sway bar induces more oversteer, Curious to know how that one behaves with a doubled one.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
exactly...but the rear comes set up SO conservatively from the factory you're just getting up to par w/ the front end.

Spectacular low buck mod for those that want their cars to handle.

Jono

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Screw originality - this just got added to the list of things to do.

Thanks all for the headsup on this mod.

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
So will this work with non SLS

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Yes, and you Could rig it up to work on an SLS car..would need to mod bracket for proportioning valve as well.

jono

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
This is pretty clever, I like it.

I'd want to make "proper" brackets at the body mount side to support independent bushings and to allow the bars to not bind against each other. Few hours in the workshop should fix it.

Now, about that front bar...
I looked at the front bar in the FrankenBenz with the engine out and it looked very intimidating even then. If a thicker bar was available, now would be the time for me to install it - but I've never heard of one.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
no thicker bar for the front, but again, the rear is so loose that you would Need to get something more for the rear yet.. the front bar is pretty thick already;-)

Tim down in NZ ran a 2nd bar attached to the underside of the chassis, a-la a W124 bolting to the LCA's.

Jono

·
Registered
Deciding on the next restomod project.
97 Posts
What's the diameter the front bar? Roughly an inch?

Anyone considered using circle track torsion bars and levers as an add on for the front? Maybe they are too big to start with? No way to package it?

For what it's worth, I run 28.2mm (5.0mm wall) front and 27.2mm (5.3mm wall) rear roll bars on my track car (non-MB). If I could get into that sort of range to start and then tune from there I'd be happy. I'm speculating that a bigger car like the W126 would find that set up fairly mild-moderate by today's standards and could use some more bar to be "sporting".

Surely AMG makes (used to make?) bars for these cars?

Are the front and rear bars the same shape or completely unique?

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Does anyone know if the rear bars are the same for all 126s ie sedan vs coupe and gen1 vs gen 2 ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts