Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am new here and am looking for some assisstance.

I just bought a 2003 C230 Kompressor Sport with new Bridgestone Potenza 225/45/18's.

My problem is that although the car generally handles well, over some larger bumps the rear of the car skips or steps out to the right. It is becoming a little unnerving.

I have tried the bounce test and the shocks seem to be fine. I have not had it up in the air yet, but crawling under it as best as I could, I could not see any leakage on the shocks.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated

Thanks guys.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,972 Posts
I'd get a 4-wheel alignment done, and have the mechanic check things (bad bushings, shocks, etc.) in the process.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Unless you are 110% certain of the car's history, I'd have a good body shop put out on the rack and check for any crash damage.

If that is clear, I'd next look at the rear-end connector links for damage/wear/worn-out bushings. You could have the body shop check those, too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it. Had to go out of down for work, but will get it in for alignment and suspension check this weekend. Carfax came back no accidents, but I know that's not 100% :)

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport
118 Posts
You may not have any issue. Our cars have rubber bands for rear tires and at least in Texas, the roads are crowned to cause rain to drain quickly. I'm guessing you're running at least 60 or better when it happens. An abrupt bump is going to bounce the tire slightly, there just isn't that much vertical rubber to absorb the shock. And with the slope from the crowned road, the car is being thrown to the right. If the road were perfectly flat it wouldn't happen. Mine does the same thing on a particular stretch of road, especially at 80 or so. Fortunately I can move left a lane and not have to deal with it.

Take a close look at your tires for cupping or unusual wear patterns. Run your hands along the tread as well, sometimes it's easier to feel abnormal wear patterns than it is to see them. If your tires are wearing smoothly, you may want to spend the alignment dollars elsewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - fixes are in process

Finally got back in town and through the holidays. Got the car up in the air, definite uneven tire wear and one strut and one shock leaking.

Got rid of the Bridgestone Pretentious, I mean Potenzas. Replaced with Nitto NT555's. Car has really settled down, tracks better and noise and ride are better. Probably why I run Nittos on my other 3 cars.

I also ordered the Koni FSD / Eibach spring kit. Barring backorders, should have them installed and a dealer done 4 wheel alignment done within 2 weeks.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change of plans guys... despite 9 Internet Suppliers claiming to have them in stock, they were all 4-6 special order items.

I went with the Koni Yellows from Import Replacement Parts and Eibach Pro Springs from AutoAnything. Both great companies and customer service.

Both arrived last night and I have the install scheduled for Monday and the alignment scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Going to try to get some before and after pics - can't wait to see and feel the difference.

Thanks again to those that have replied. In response:

Shop said everything except the front right strut (leaking) was solid.

The car had 225/45/18 Bridgestone Potenzas when I got it. The rear had uneven wear to the point the wear bars were probably 3 weeks away, so I replaced those with the Nitto 555 Extremes. Could not be happier with this tire - handling, comfort and noise are SOOOO much improved over the Protensious, I mean, Protenzas :)

Thanks again guys for all of your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro's installed today, alignment scheduled first thing in the morning.

Handling issues GONE. Car lets you know you went over a bump, but stays firmly planted. Much less body roll in the corners - even without doing the larger anti-sways.

Lowering. Gap dropped from 4 fingers to 2 in the front and from 2 to 1 in the back.

Settings. Fronts - Full Soft, rears, 1 full turn.

Might be a little too harsh for the wife, but right now it corners like its on rails.

Without a doubt - the best suspension mod I have ever done, including a complete BMR Fabrication suspension and sub-frame connectors on the old 500hp Firebird, and on that one - jacking up the rear tire also raised the front one off the ground :)

Got the Koni's from Import Replacement Parts dot com. $715.00
Got the Eibach's from Auto Anything dot com. $220.00 (minus 10% Eibach Holiday Rebate).

Might need to soften the rears for the wife, but couldn't be happier with the products or the results!!!

Both companies have great prices and customer service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts