Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been hit from behind in the R class. I hope not. I am on the fence about buying an R class but am concerned with the 3rd row passegners safety in a rear end collision. The backs of their heads are sure close to the tail gate. Any suggestions?
Are there air bags in the back to protect the backs of the 3rd row passengers?
Thanks for any replies!!

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
There are side airbags for the rear passengers. If you look at other suvs and vans, you will notice their heads are just as close to the tailgate as well. I haven't thought about what it would be like to be rear ended while sitting in the 3rd row, but with MB long history of being safe and leading edge safety technology, the rear passengers should be ok. Also you are supposed to have the headrests up when sitting in the 3rd row.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Head restraints play a major role here. The size and shape of the rear hatch would absorb a very heavy shunt.

·
Registered
557 Posts
One of the safest vehicles out there... Nothing will protect your family better...

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2007 GL320
12 Posts
My parents were in a nasty crash last year in their R. They were the 2nd car in a 4 car crash where a large Ford F250 rear ended an Audi Cabriolet which slammed into my parents R which hit a Chevy Malibu. The F250 was pretty dinged up, the Audi was totaled, the R had $16k worth of damage and the Chevy had about $2500. From appearances, the damage to the R looked rather superficial but the Audi came underneath it and caused a lot of undertray damage. My parents were in the front seats of course, but the third row was not affected. The R is pretty solid.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I personally had experienced a rear collision (R350 2006). We were sitting at a light - my wife and I in the front, my two daughters in middle row in car seats. We were hit in the rear - the elderly women was driving 5-10 mph, she was obviously confused and personally I think suffering from some mental issues. She just hit us - she didnt brake!

All we had was some pain in the neck from the impact wife and I. My daughters were unaffected since they were in carseats and in the middle row - children are more flexible allowing them to absorb more kinetic energy. they were more scared from the load impact then anything else. Air bags didn't deploy. The R took the impact perfectly since she hit us evenly along the rear and transferred all the loads (energy) along the entire bumper - in all we had some paint damage on the bumper cover and the bumper cover was not cracked. No structural/or chassis damage. Grand total of 600 dollars to repaint and reinstall bumper cover... The R drives fine - no noises or shaking or anything. The vehicle is ROCK SOLID! Trust me you buying a R is the safest best choice you can make....especially for impacts and for safety for the people in the 2nd and 3rd row (wearing seat belts).

Additionally, the 3rd row seat and head rest were designed to withstand plenty of impact, and the rear is designed to crumple. there is about 1.5 to 2 feet of space from the passage head rest to the tail gate....plenty of room for an even-full accident. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife and I were rear-ended in our R320 a few months ago. We were stopped behind a road construction vehicle and the driver behind us hit us going 45 miles per hour. (He was on his cell)
His car was completely totaled, we drove ours home. It did need $8000 in repairs but you could hardly tell it was hit at all. It really hammered home how well they are engineered. I had our 2 kids in the middle seats in their car seats and they were fine. I am confident had anyone been in the 3rd row they would have been ok as well.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
MB has been a pioneer in the concept of crumble zones on its cars since the 80s. These are areas every so many inches of the sheet metal designed to absorb the energy of impact by allowing the metals to crumble in these zones. The idea is to allow the sheet metal to be deformed in a predicted way resulting in a safety cage area for the occupants up to a certain force (if hit by a tank all bets are off here). MBs are definetely some of the safest cars out there. Although you raise a valid concern, don't worry about safety here.

·
Registered
2006 R350, 2001 CLK 430
5 Posts
R350 7 seat option

One of the safest vehicles out there... Nothing will protect your family better...
Do you have any idea how I can go about getting the 7th seat installed? I have the 6 seater buy have a 5 member family. I am okay buying aftermarket seat and having it installed, or allowing dealer to do it, but I do not think they are willing, they said they cannot. So, do you know where the 7th seat can be purchased? I know there will be holes where the armrests where.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally had experienced a rear collision (R350 2006). We were sitting at a light - my wife and I in the front, my two daughters in middle row in car seats. We were hit in the rear - the elderly women was driving 5-10 mph, she was obviously confused and personally I think suffering from some mental issues. She just hit us - she didnt brake!

All we had was some pain in the neck from the impact wife and I. My daughters were unaffected since they were in carseats and in the middle row - children are more flexible allowing them to absorb more kinetic energy. they were more scared from the load impact then anything else. Air bags didn't deploy. The R took the impact perfectly since she hit us evenly along the rear and transferred all the loads (energy) along the entire bumper - in all we had some paint damage on the bumper cover and the bumper cover was not cracked. No structural/or chassis damage. Grand total of 600 dollars to repaint and reinstall bumper cover... The R drives fine - no noises or shaking or anything. The vehicle is ROCK SOLID! Trust me you buying a R is the safest best choice you can make....especially for impacts and for safety for the people in the 2nd and 3rd row (wearing seat belts).

Additionally, the 3rd row seat and head rest were designed to withstand plenty of impact, and the rear is designed to crumple. there is about 1.5 to 2 feet of space from the passage head rest to the tail gate....plenty of room for an even-full accident. :thumbsup:
Hi, my R-class was just rear-ended by a Nissan on interstate
highway. I absolutely love my car that protects me from the big shunt. The Nissan was totaled, while I had some minor cracks in my rear bumper, but my backup sensors were damaged.
At the same time, I wonder how much damage had the crash on my
car, including on car frame, considering the other car was totaled. How would the technician go about evaluating the hidden damage to my car?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The seat design and safety engineering for the 3rd row is (along with Volvo XC90) the best in the marketplace. You should be far more concerned with the R-class rear-ending your wallet (sans Vaseline)!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Excellent topic

I've always wondered how safe the third row is in the event of a rear ender. The Institute of Highway Safety does a ton of different test scenarios, including a newer "side pole crash test", but they've never done anything on the possibility of an intrusion into the third row.

I also have been under the impression that a ladder frame chassis would be more solid in the event of an accident as opposed to a space frame chassis - I could be wrong. Many trucks are based on ladder frames, including the Lexus GX. I believe Mercedes does take efforts to ensure that if there is a rear ender, the gas tank would not be at risk (it's moved forward away from the rear of the car). Although well thought out, this tells me however, that the 3rd row is still a riskier position in the car.

It is good to read however that those of you that have been unfortunate enough to have been in an accident, have escaped serious injuries. Also, from your posts, there hasn't been an incident of the back crumple into the third row. I will say that regardless of how well the car is built, if you're hit by a large enough object at a fast enough speed, the 1 foot or so between the headrest and the back window doesn't leave much room for error. As a result, I haven't put my kids in the third row... yet. Until there is more definitive information, the second row seats are undoubtedly the safest place in the R.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've always wondered how safe the third row is in the event of a rear ender. The Institute of Highway Safety does a ton of different test scenarios, including a newer "side pole crash test", but they've never done anything on the possibility of an intrusion into the third row.

I also have been under the impression that a ladder frame chassis would be more solid in the event of an accident as opposed to a space frame chassis - I could be wrong. Many trucks are based on ladder frames, including the Lexus GX. I believe Mercedes does take efforts to ensure that if there is a rear ender, the gas tank would not be at risk (it's moved forward away from the rear of the car). Although well thought out, this tells me however, that the 3rd row is still a riskier position in the car.

It is good to read however that those of you that have been unfortunate enough to have been in an accident, have escaped serious injuries. Also, from your posts, there hasn't been an incident of the back crumple into the third row. I will say that regardless of how well the car is built, if you're hit by a large enough object at a fast enough speed, the 1 foot or so between the headrest and the back window doesn't leave much room for error. As a result, I haven't put my kids in the third row... yet. Until there is more definitive information, the second row seats are undoubtedly the safest place in the R.
Actually IHHS has done studies of crash protection for 3rd row occupants, and that work has led to most manufacturers significantly improving the 3rd row safety, especially with the addition of decent headrests for 3rd row occupants.

And one of the significant benefits of moncoque (or unibody) frame/chasis design over ladder frame design is improved occupant safety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts