Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off the passanger side rear tire and took a look at the rear end suspension. The subframe bushings look tired, but are still intact. The only thing I saw that looked suspicious was the rear shock. I noticed a little oil at the bottom of it so I think it might be toast. I was able to replicate the sound by pushing and pulling up the bumper and it seems to be coming from around the rear shock, there isn't really anything else I saw that looked wasted.

Does anyone know of a better way to test the shock besides pushing on it. What I think is happening is that the shock might be dead allowing the body stop to contact the rear subframe and make a wicked sound. The body stop looks like a dog toy called the kong if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Around mothers day I have been offered the option to drive down highway 1 to san diego so I'm hoping this problems isn't serious enough to slow me down.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,903 Posts
Oil would be a clear sign that the shock is shot (try saying that three times). Not that hard to replace.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Oil would be a clear sign that the shock is shot (try saying that three times). Not that hard to replace.
Or that expensive.

But do both at the same time.

My guy in La Mesa Ca. should be able to get two Bilsteins to you pretty cheap and pretty quick. About USD$60 each I think.

let me know if you want his details.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can probably find a set of rear shocks around here, but if not you can give me the guys info. If it comes down to it I'll give my aunt a call and she can hook me up with cheap parts. I do remember the first time I did highway 1 that one of the rear shocks started making noise, so maybe they are goners.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
No worries Daryn. Whatever you do though, try to stick to either Sachs or Bilstein, anything else isn't worth the effort.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going for Bilstein HDs and thanks for the suggestion Foto. Kind of funny you'd order parts from La Mesa, when I was down in San Diego I noticed how much of the parts/performance parts suppliers are in SoCal. That's why I laugh when people down in SoCal can't find parts, all the wherehouses are around LA and the Evil Empire.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,297 Posts
Why HD's, Daryn? I'll be doing suspension soon front and back and I can't decide if I want "comfort" or "sport." (I'll also do springs, which also are available each way.)

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to firm up the suspension a little, but I don't think it is going to be that big of a deal. I tend to like to drive fast through the twisties so maybe it will improve handling. I will post an update next week when I change the rear shock and tell you if it changes anything.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Why HD's, Daryn? I'll be doing suspension soon front and back and I can't decide if I want "comfort" or "sport." (I'll also do springs, which also are available each way.)
Several of the SL pilots here have opted for the HD upgrade. I can't recall any voiced regrets......

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I think you'll find that Bilstein only do a comfort rear and HD front for our cars. At elast according to Bilstein catalogue, anyway.

Happy to be proven wrong.

I can say though, they definitely don't do "Sport" for a 107.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you really want sport shocks I'd do Koni reds, but they are about 120$ per shock verses about 75$ for the bilsteins.

The bilstein rear HD shocks are f4-b46-1184-h0 for reference.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
I think you'll find that Bilstein only do a comfort rear and HD front for our cars. At elast according to Bilstein catalogue, anyway.

Happy to be proven wrong.
There is a rear HD.

I don't have time to do a search right know but I know the info is here somewhere.

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Quite possibly there is, or maybe there was, but Bilstein's own site doesn't list them.
I've noticed that the Bilstein USA and Bilstein Germany sites have different names for shocks with the same part number (differences beyond the obvious language-based ones) and also might offer more or less versions of a shock for a given car...

I'm not sure where the Australian catalog fits in...

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Quite possibly there is, or maybe there was, but Bilstein's own site doesn't list them.

Part Number: W0133-1612941 Heavy Duty
Series: Heavy Duty
Type: Direct fit, OE replacement
Fit Note: Heavy Duty Setting for this Application. Not for use with self levelling. See Bilstein Catalog for ride settings per application..

I would submit that the Bilstein.us site and and other cataloging we see are not as complete vis a vie what Bilstein.de may have available for a more performance oriented Euro market.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is pretty weird, I went to tire rack and they listed the 1184# as HDs but I guess they aren't. This is exactly what I don't want to happen, I use the wrong part number and get the incorrect shock, not that it would matter as long as they fit. They used the same shocks for many models of the mercedes. Very interesting and thanks for keeping me honest folks! Thanks for the part number.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts