Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told by my MB garage that this has to be a factory fit. Yet I have fitted electric blinds to both the saloon and the estate in the past, using high-torque mini motors, and customised roller blinds. [I'm a Pharmacist, not a mechanic].

So fitting the scissor-action MB unit and running a wire to the dashboard must be easy by comparison. Can this unit be obtained, for installation by any competent DIYer?

Someone suggested "Steve" at www.mbenz.nl, but I have been unable to make contact.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Rainer5

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
I assume your previous installations did not use CAN-bus connected parts. But still, retrofitting the rear window blind should be doable for one who is able to remove and reinstall the rear window shelf and a bit more. I did not check but the car might need version coding.

The switch is at the upper control panel and parts likely need to be changed there too.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
I assume your previous installations did not use CAN-bus connected parts. But still, retrofitting the rear window blind should be doable for one who is able to remove and reinstall the rear window shelf and a bit more. I did not check but the car might need version coding.

The switch is at the upper control panel and parts likely need to be changed there too.
I had Steve retrofit it to my car (built 12/03 as an 05 model) and it needed both a new switch assembly and version coding. The switch assy is a CAN data entry encoder so there is no hardware wire going directly to the roller blind. The entire package shelf needs to be replaced so you need to also remove the rear head rests and speaker assembly if you have the HK sub installed to run the wires to the rear SAM as well. After watching him do the work I am sure I would not try this as a DIY unless I had done alot of mods in the past and felt comfortable really taking the car apart if only because most DIY types do not have access to STAR or know how to use it.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
I had Steve retrofit it to my car (built 12/03 as an 05 model) and it needed both a new switch assembly and version coding. The switch assy is a CAN data entry encoder so there is no hardware wire going directly to the roller blind. The entire package shelf needs to be replaced so you need to also remove the rear head rests and speaker assembly if you have the HK sub installed to run the wires to the rear SAM as well. After watching him do the work I am sure I would not try this as a DIY unless I had done alot of mods in the past and felt comfortable really taking the car apart if only because most DIY types do not have access to STAR or know how to use it.
I had a quick look at EPC (before the previous reply) and did not see a different rear shelf option, which I was expecting. I must have missed it. Thanks for the update/correction.

Considering DIY, there are different levels but from previous posts I would interpret n5160 one of the more experienced and would take the advice seriously. Still, my "prerequisite" was that one is able to remove and reinstall the rear shelf. I would still assume it is doable for one that finds that simple. I would start from reading the related WIS or similar documents first, easier to estimate if the work suits for one.

Star coding is often needed, Comand APS retrofits, telephone kits etc. The need for Star should not be a show stopper, even most dealers perform the necessary version coding and you still gain from the rest of the work being DIY.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Well, you'll need LOTS of WIS procedures, as you'll be removing lots of the interior to run the wiring and you'll be replacing the switch set in the console, i.e. that row of buttons is all one part.

Retrofitting--when performed by a dealer--is often up to 4-5 times as expensive than having the option originally factory installed. Even when buying the parts for DIY the cost can be 2-3 time factory option price.

For example: HAD to have the rear side window shades that retract into the door panels on our W211. Retrofit means you will eventually own two sets of door panels of course. Factory option price: $350. Retrofit price (dealer installed) $2000.

The electric rear sunshade is indeed very nice.

But wait--there is a very easy very inexpensive alternative.

Look at page 11 of this document (part number on page 13).
http://www.mercedes-benz.sk/pdf/accessories/brochure_access_e.pdf

Mercedes offers part number B6 669 1112 which is a fixed rear window sunblind.

We seldom drive anywhere with our MB electric rear sunblind raised, but we have a New Beetle with a fixed rear sunblind and driving that way is not problematic.

Your dealer can get you this part or you can order it here
Mercedes-Benz Genuine Parts

omit B when entering part number

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buying and fitting a factory supplied scissor unit surely cannot be as complicated as making the mechanism and roller blind from scratch, which I have done on previous occasions, starting with only a little mottor, and designing the entire system around this.

What am I missing here? I am a dedicated DIYer with extensive workshop facilities, and numerous successful projects behind me.

Rainer5

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply.

Previous installations were independently wired, using a rocking switch which reversed polarity, and hence the direction of the motor. This worked in conjunction with the spring in the roller-blind to move the blind up and down.

Rainer5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts