Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300e
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am in the process of trying to remove the rear control arm, trailing arms, tie rod, and sway bar links. Rust is a Major issue as the majority of them I cannot get to budge. I have been able to cut off a few with a sawsall and remove it piece by piece. However, the bolts near the hub/dust shield are tough even to get a wrench on, let alone a drill or saw blade.

Is there a simple removal of that dust shield? Having that gone would allow much easier access to those bolts.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
There are 3 little bolts (hex type) that hold the shield on. If the e-brake parts are already removed, they are ALL thats left!
:D

Oh, wait... Unless it is a 2-piece type it will not go over the hub... but it still might provide some 'fighting room'. :p

·
Registered
1987 300TDT - Light Ivory.... 1993 500E - Signal Red.... 1995 E320 Cabrio - Black(040).
48 Posts
Can you drill a hole in the shield?

Afterward, who cares?

·
Registered
1988 300e
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, got one sides pieces all off and going to put the new stuff on this side before I start the other.

Anyone know where I can get the torque specs for rear suspension components?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
The online service manual in our DIY section should give you the torque specs. One thing you need to remember when replacing the links. Before you tighten the bolts down, the suspension needs to be in a neutral position..as in having the rear hub in a position that is close to where it would be with the wheels/car on the ground.

Good Luck

Jayare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts