Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a "new" 95 S600 SEC owner, I am so glad to find this forum. I have already read many interesting posts that may apply to my driver. My most immediate problem as follows.

Drivers side rear window motor seems dead, needs to close that extra 3/8 inch to stop wind noise. That’s how much it should go down, then go up again when opening and closing door.

I would be happy to have it just closed for now. Ever heard of this issue before, would each window have a separate fuse somewhere?

Can I do it manually some how?

Car seems extra solid and goes really well, don't think it's been used much last few years, 85k miles.

Thanks, CK

·
Registered
780 Posts
do you mean it doesnt move at all? is the child safety switch on? if that's the case, you will have to remove the rear panel, and replace the motor (after checking all fuses - there is a compartment in the trunk and one in the engine bay)

if it does go up and down but doesnt go up that extra 3/8" to seal then it's not the motor.

when that happens it means the micro switch in the door may be dirty
what you can do is open the door, and close it with a bit of force to trigger the micro switch and that should close it, otherwise you may want to reset the windows as follows:

push the driver's side button down & keep it down for 10 sec after the window goes down completely

keep it for 10 sec and then push it up and keep it for 10 sec after window has gone up completely

repeat for rear window

push the button... window goes down.. keep holding the button for 10 sec. Then reverse it and push it up and keep it for 10 sec after window has gone up

this should reset it for you and your problem should go away

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now motor is dead from all switches, with or without child lock. Could I pull the panel off and manually get that last 3/8s up somehow?

Will check all fuses also and try door slamming too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Now then .. easy ..take your time..try this first.. wind all your windows down . 4 inch.. then get out of the car.. place the red window of your key near the window on the door handle.. press and hold the lock unlock button for about ten seconds.. all four windows should close .. try it.. and if not . we can try other things.. remember.. a 600 coupe.. is not a kia.. if you mess with it.. it will cost you.. BIG TIME.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will give that a trywhen I get back, out of town for a few weeks. If that doesn't work I'll get a big "spanner" ang give it a go, like my old Chevy truck:):)

I have read a lot of posts, very complex!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried all the hints, sounds like a soloniod clicking some where in the back seat area when trying the window switches front and rear. No window movement at all.

Would like to get it up, if the motor is dead, any manual method?

Thanks

CK

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
azcarz,

I think what snik and Merc600sec wants to highlight with their sync windows posts,
is really to establish if the motor runs or not at all. I do see Merc600sec point in bypassing the window switch to run the windows (window switch, the usually suspect).

You clearly states, that there is some kind of click heard when you use the switch,
front or rear. My guess is then, that either, there is no connection of power
to the motor, or the motor is dead. Please read these threads, and
the refered documents about windows and the coupe windows, to have
a better understading on where to look;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1328527-electric-windows-only-go-up-stages-2.html?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1278879-help-needed-0n-window-raising-sealing-door-closed-s500-coupe.html

Getting access to the motor is rather complicated if you have not taken the back side trim off
before. My "obstacle" was to realize that the leather insert next to the armrest had to be carefully
lifted off to get access to some screws.

Before you try to take the trim off, I would try to give the motor direct power thru the connector
at the N57 box in the trunk. M10/5 is the name of the rear left window motor. From the diagrams
in the thread I refer to, it should (no guaranty) be pin 1 and 15 on the connector B at the N57.

Good luck!

br,
syljua

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much, this is getting to look more compilcated all the time.

Norway and Leicester, truly international!!!

Will keep slugging, may have found an Arizona Benz shop to have a look.

Thanks,

CK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have taken a lot of things apart, not always got back together, is it mechanical or electronic when you get at it? Or replace a module?

Thanks for the ongoing interest.

Cal

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you fix this window?

Azcarz,
Did you solve the problem? If so, what was the fix. I just got the exactly same problem...
Fray

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
There is`a`complex relay system inside the box.. It contains electromagnetic switches with contacts like old style fuel pumps,,ther are two issues.. the slab comes off the mounting.. or the contacts get dirty and dont connect.. carbon buildup..it is possible to clean the contacts.. However before you go there check fuses and switches etc..do a continuity test..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, still have not got to it, found mulitple other issuses to deal with!!!

Still plan to pull the rear panel off to look at it, the electronic try would be next, local guru here says probably window regulator, has fixed many over the years.

MB scares the crap out of me, had too many beers when I bought this one, already spent another 3 grand. Needs motor mounts and ride system needs attention, new bombs??? Still a very cool car but is it worth it????

CK

·
Registered
67 Posts
S600 window

No, still have not got to it, found mulitple other issuses to deal with!!!

Still a very cool car but is it worth it????
CK
Are the other problems related to the windows, or other systems? A diagnostic code reader is a must with these cars. I have been "debugging" a car like yours and have found that forums like this are a gem to find out solutions. Info in AllData and WIS make also a difference. A "debugged" W140 car is like no other. This is my first S600 but have had MB's for over 30 years. The big engine S class cars are jewels. -Used to have a 300SEL 6.3 for many years- I think they definitely worth every minute and nickel spent if the vehicle is the right one from the start and if your are willing to appreciate what these cars have to offer. -Too many threads on this regard, in this forum and others...-
Good luck,
Fray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts