Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04carrera911,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140, w210 e55t 2001
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear driver side door lock does not lock but will unlock with the keys and the lock buttons inside the vehicle. Now i need to lock it everytime i park the suv manually. Can it be the door actuator ?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,900 Posts
It could be a few things that cause this problem; door lock actuator, severed wire or front SAM module.

The easiest thing to do is access the front SAM under the R/F seat by removing the three plastic covers.

Find wires #21 WHITE & #22 VIOLET/BLACK in connector "F". These two wires are responsible for locking and unlocking the left rear door. Strip a thin wire at both ends. Pull up the door button.

Place one end of the wire on the POS. battery terminal and with the other end momentarily touch the WHITE wire pin and see if the door locks. If not, do the same to the VIO/BLK wire.

Don't reinstall the battery covers as you might have to access the SAM again.

Post back with results.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04carrera911,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140, w210 e55t 2001
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will do this.

·
Registered
06 ML500
61 Posts
Was it jumping up and down when you hit the button? Like a jack-hammer/machine gun effect? If it did thats a spring issue in the actuator. Its like $12 for a set of springs for the whole vehicle plus you get some nice little neddlenose pliers with them.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What was the result of the test?
hi 43sqd, still on a business trip. havent really done anything yet since i left the ml at the dealer due to leak on the transmission oil pan. had the dealer checked that door lock and i got an email recommending to change the door lock actuator at over 500usd. i replied and told them not to replace.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was it jumping up and down when you hit the button? Like a jack-hammer/machine gun effect? If it did thats a spring issue in the actuator. Its like $12 for a set of springs for the whole vehicle plus you get some nice little neddlenose pliers with them.
nope. not like that description.

·
Registered
06 ML500
61 Posts
Amazon, or ebay. I think its the same company on both sites. There are other providers of the springs, but the X8R seems to be the more prominent one. I bought mine off ebay if that matters. Please seek out my other thread the term 'PSA' in the tittle. There are left and right hand springs, and they are NOT interchangeable. (despite the misleading picture they use to sell them). There are more pitfalls as well. do your research.

https://www.amazon.com/MERCEDES-BEN...=1500925054&sr=8-1&keywords=w164+door+springs

·
Registered
2009 ML320
255 Posts
Thanks for the input.
My LH rear door unlocks, but wont lock from the key...

I moved the passenger seat forward, and hoped to be able to see the electrical connections mentioned in the above posts, but they are not visible or accessible without removing the seat it looks.
Will have to get into this deeper on a day when I have more time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If after replacing door lock actuator problem does not go away you probably have bad SAM module.
On w164 x164 w251 Front Sam controls Left Rear door lock actuator, while rear sam controls the rest of three, front left, right and rear right.
I can repair these, Just take out the unit and send it in. my email [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 ML320
255 Posts
I’ve looked and cannot see or find this front SAM module.
Can someone confirm it’s location?
Looking at the pictures, and the battery position it looks to be outboard of the battery under the passenger seat outboard seat runner.
iannot seem to access it without removing the seat.
Unless it’s in a different position...ours is a 2009 Bluetec.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,900 Posts
I’ve looked and cannot see or find this front SAM module.
Can someone confirm it’s location?
Looking at the pictures, and the battery position it looks to be outboard of the battery under the passenger seat outboard seat runner.
iannot seem to access it without removing the seat.
Unless it’s in a different position...ours is a 2009 Bluetec.
The front SAM is located where the battery is.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 ML320
255 Posts
Quick update.
We have been managing with locking the read drivers door manually and then locking the car with the key fob.
A couple of months back something changed...
Now, when we try to do the above procedure the door unlocks itself(Button pops up) when we lock with the key fob!!

Our new procedure is:
Get out of the car, go around to passenger side rear door, and open it.
Lock the car with key fob, clamber in, push down the drivers side rear door button manually, clamber out and shut the door...

I wonder what changed and if that says anything about the problem to people that understand the system!

·
Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
8,858 Posts
Well mine (rear r/hand door lock, right hand drive UK model) rattles when we try to lock with the fob and the lock stem doesn't stay down, so we open the door, push down the lock stem, close the door, then lock with the fob.

I tried the tip of pushing a tie-wrap in alongside the stem to stop the bounce but it didn't work, maybe it wasn't a fat enough tie-wrap.

So I've assumed it's the broken lock spring found by others and I ordered a pair of springs, they were delivered to my lazy son several months ago. He didn't post them, my daughter picked them up and is arriving to a location near us (14 days virus quarantine) tomorrow.

So IF he put them in the package... ;)

I'll try to find this thread again and let you know the result when (IF) I can remove the lock and change the spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.