Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me information on how to remove the rear passenger door handle on an 2000 ML 320?

I don’t see an access hole for the hex screw holding the door handle cap on the exterior of the rear passenger door. I need to gain access to the exterior door screw to remove the handle.

After removing the door panel, when I look directly through the door aligning my sight directly to the exterior handle end cap, I have no access hole in the medal door enclosure. Is the screw holding the capon positioned at a different angle and not directly across like the front doors?

I'm dealing with the "machine gun" door lock problem and need to remove the rear door locking assembly.

(I posted the question on the ML section of the forum too, but I'm still waiting on an answer.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2002 ML 320, 2004 Audi Avant A4
212 Posts
Do a search i believe Pleubner has posted pics on that subject. Hope this helps......[:)]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After reviewing the information it appears the access hole is line A. Guess I have a "blind spot" but when looking through the rear door from the inside of the ML, I still don't see an access hole across for the rear door handle. It is my understanding I should be looking for a 4mm torques head to remove the cap so I can remove the philips screw on the out side of the door to remove the handle.

I'm sure this is going to turn out to be one of those.. Awwww... I can't believe I missed that examples....

You've go to give it to MB... they are masters at hiding trim and body fasteners.

I'm trying to remove item/part # 2 on the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
'11 C300
423 Posts
Heck, I'm not doing anything right now so here's the thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1245166&start=1&fid=29

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANK YOU! The link is GREAT.

Wow... Needless to say, I've been getting very frustated trying to find the location.

If you're ever in the Tulsa area... I'll buy you a beer! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure... Beer for everyone! :)

It's amazing how much frustration I'll put myself through with my DIY projects on my MB's. It started out as a hobby, but it has "driven" me to drinking.

I can envision the German engineers laughing as they hide the access hole for the 4mm hex screw behind the glued down weather stripping on the door. Then I can then imagine another engineer saying; let’s make a very small hole for the 130mm deep screw so no standard hex tool will reach the fastener that you can’t see. Then at their next staff meeting they are told to design a door assembly lock that will resort to a “machine gun� sound that will arise after the warranty has expired. And if the Americans leave the “auto locking feature� turned on, it will give the machine gun sound every time the car reaches 10mph. Yes, it’s their way of keeping the American cursing and drinking their German beer.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
23,090 Posts
pleubner - 4/5/2006 12:56 PM

[V]
I think we all need to buy Peter a beer anyhow. He contributes so much to the forum, he deserves it!

·
Registered
'11 C300
423 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree! Next time you are in the Chesapeake/Virginia Beach area "PM" me and I'll buy Peter.[8D] Well, one beer. I lived in Europe for six years and I know how you folks drink! Well, we're pretty good at it too come to think of it[:D]

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
rsmcmahon,

Make sure you don't turn that screw too often , or you will lose it (and have to look for it inside the paneling).....

Great , Now I can start collecting "Beer Credits"!.[^]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey... if you have a PayPal account I'll be glad to credit you a Beer for the "priceless" information.

Thanks again for the help.

Russell

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.