Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need specifics on my 2007 C230 Sport. Does anyone know if it has LSD? If so, what kind of alternative oil can I use? Mineral or Synthetic since the owners manual does not dictate any specifics? Manual indicates that the differential requires 85W 90 (001 989 17 03 10), but the dealer wants $43 for a liter of the stuff. Is there an after market replacement available and what brand/viscosity should I use? The closest that I've seen is made by Valvoline (80W 90) Syntech and the other is made by Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear oil (75W 90). Last bu not least, interval replacement, when is it done? Please help me...! :confused:

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
There is a list of approved lubes for the diffs around somewhere.
Unfortunately none of the oils listed was available in my area, or
even perhaps the US.
I didn't get around to doing it till 120K miles,
but I believe the service interval is 100K miles.
Personally, if possible do it sooner.
Mine was like water when it came out.
Just useless.

I put Catrol hypoid gl5 oil in.
Castrol USA - Hypoy C

Wasn't listed, but it's not a tranny. There's just gears.
No syncho's etc. I was going to use
synth, but figured if it came with plain gear oil, than
that should be fine. Dealer told me to use 85/90 hypoid.
This is the same stuff I've used in almost every other differential over the years.

You'll need an odd size allen wrench socket and an oil pump.
Search on google, tons of DIY's.
14mm is the size. Almost no one stocks it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
in addition to the thick owner's manual you should have a couple of thin booklets in the same case (1) factory service manual telling you service intervals and (2) manual with list of factory-approved service products/fluids. the info you need should be there.

·
Registered
'88 560SL, '19 AMG E53 Cpe, '15.5 Volvo XC60, '53 MG TD, '35 Ford Cpe and a few more
189 Posts
I use Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic. No LSD so no need for additives. You will need a pump to get the oil in.

·
Registered
C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)
11 Posts
Question...

How can you tell if this fluid needs to be replaced? The reason I ask is because I my '03 c240 has what seems to be a lot of road noise when I drive. It's not a loud noise as far as like the engine it just sounds like my tires are really really noisy. A friend of mine rode in the car with me the other day for the first time and he said something about oil in my rear axles or something. Could this be related to the rear differential fluid? I don't know anything about cars so I'm not even sure if I have a rear differential, I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
your car is rear wheel drive so you have a rear differential. it allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds (required for going around corners). low diff fluid could cause noise. it could also ruin your diff if gets bad enough ($$$$). you need to have someone check the fluid level. it requires removing the diff fluid fill plug. if it is low the correct fluid (see manual for type) can be added. you can also drain all old fluid out a drain plug and fill it with fresh fluid. see manual for recommended replacement interval. you need a lift or jack stands to do this so don't try it yourself if you don't work on cars. it should not be expensive. your friend may have also suggested it could be the CV (constant velocity) joints on the rear axels. they can lose their grease seal and wear out, causing noise. that is more expensive.

How can you tell if this fluid needs to be replaced? The reason I ask is because I my '03 c240 has what seems to be a lot of road noise when I drive. It's not a loud noise as far as like the engine it just sounds like my tires are really really noisy. A friend of mine rode in the car with me the other day for the first time and he said something about oil in my rear axles or something. Could this be related to the rear differential fluid? I don't know anything about cars so I'm not even sure if I have a rear differential, I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
If the diff is not leaking, unlikely you need oil - Change out will not hurt as long as you use MB spec oil

But consider your tyres first, they could be your problem - SLKs are pretty sensitive to tyre noise due to the proximity of the driver to back wheels and tyre choice makes a great difference.

When you renew, go to the reviews and details of different brands on tirerack.com (when you have sorted out your own requirements in a tyre - comfort/quietness/performance/wear etc)

Oberoi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts