Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of my new rear deck.

I needed larger holes and risers to accomodate my 6x9 speakers.

First, I traced the old cracking nasty deck onto a 1/8 inch thick waterproof markerboard and cut it out.

Then I cut a styrofoam block into a wedge, and cut the halves into oval donuts.

Then I siliconed it to the board, let it dry for a week, and covered it with special stretchy auto carpet. ( http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/80wideozite.html ) I used an automotive spray mount from Advance.

Then I cut out the carpet and installed the deck into the car.

I think it looks like a professional job. If you didn't know better, that is [;)].

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 C200 Kompressor Sports Coupe
138 Posts
Another fine job indeed. And well documented for all of us so cheers!

What of the first aid kit?

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,664 Posts
Looks great Greg but if you get into a frontal wreck,duck !

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car didn't come to me with the first aid kit. There was an audio-cloth covered frame in its place. Apparently, there was a subwoofer in the trunk.

I tied the speakers together under the deck with some strong hemp twine, and it's all snug, so I am pretty sure everything should stay where it is in case I should ever be in an accident.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Satellite radio antenna painted with Paintscratch.com paint to match. (& K-Mart clear coat.)
[8D] Oh, yeah.

BTW, The color Medium Saddle is the closest to Palamino that they had. I ordered the samples and went through all the colors. It's pretty darn close to Palamino.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts