Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally found some time to put the coilovers together this weekend, more or less with a few other chores. :)
Thanks to postings from pte and sgtpepperaut.

First time assembling and installing coilovers.
Any advice is appreciated.

Here's the components for one side.

After reviewing the other members setups,
I've decided to reuse the oem top spring seat (vs. the Allstar cone seat in the coilover kit), follow the set screw pinning of the coilover kit to the bilstein shocks (so it doesnt rotate or move around).
As for the blue bilstein shock boot, it doesnt fit over the threaded Allstart coilover sleeve, so I'm now thinking maybe using one of these bellow type covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
918 Posts
khomer:

Is the purpose of assembling your own rear shock / spring units to gain higher spring rate / change height / dampening ?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
khomer:

Is the purpose of assembling your own rear shock / spring units to gain higher spring rate / change height / dampening ?
Objective is to lower the ride height and maintain the ride. Overall drop the height by 1" all around. I pretty sure the front end torsion adjustment will allow this and still maintain what I have. If not, I can swap out the front oem shocks late.
I've gone with a spring rate of 650lbs.
Road conditions here are pretty good and this is not a daily use vehicle.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

After a busy summer and fall with workn such and family, finally got some time to get the suv up on the hoist and install these coil-overs plus replace the old tired oem front swaybar bushings with some ricochet polyurethane bushings. This gave me some time to inspect a few things on the underside too.
The rear swaybar bushings were looking tired too. I will have to do some searching for better replacements or swapping the rear swaybar out with an H&R bar (dang expense though) and not sure of any added benefits.
I'll get the suspension adjusted and lowered a tad (roughly an 1"-1 1/2" at the rear and 1/2"-3/4" at the front) and road test it for ride and comfort. oem struts and ride height before adjustments is 32.75" and 32.25" on the fat 18" tyres.

oem struts.png coilover.png

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a good day yesterday with some free time. Adjusted the front torsion bars (4 turns only) and let them settle down. Coilovers installed as per PTE thread (not adjusted for ride height yet).
Urethane bushings replaced the old ones in the front sway bar. Still need to look for the rear ones.
Present ride height measurements of 31/ 31 front and rear. I have to adjust the rear to get it up to at least 32-32 1/2"
Test drove it today: front end suspension was good. Took thru most of the road conditions it would typically go thru here, but the rear coilovers over speed bumps was the issue.
I could feel the bilsteins hitting the bump stops ever so slightly. Will adjust tomorrow sometime after work or the weekend.

What it presently looks like without the rear height adjusted.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 3.43.25 PM.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts