Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. The Harman Kardon setup is solid. Real solid. And as such, powerful enough to cause vibration in the back cabin on my ML. The vibration is two-fold and I'm hoping someone can diagnose.

First vibration is a buzzing that occurs from the rear when truly peak high frequencies are played at a very high volume. A woman's voice or a violin in a song will do it. It's not a blown speaker as it only happens when I really crank the stereo and at certain specific frequencies. Problem being...I like to crank the stereo.

Second vibration is bass related alongside the driver's side, above the subwoofer. I've located the spot, but have not pulled off the inner panel. It's, surprisingly, not the panel over the woofer, but rather the pillar that runs to the roof of the rear cabin, almost over the rear passengers head. Something behind that panel most likely. How is the panel over this pillar removed?

I've spent some time examining this, but looking to see if others have had similar vibrations and what you've done to fix.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2006 e320 cdi, 2006 ml350, 2008 ml320 cdi
99 Posts
Do you have anything in the back? Becuase i have the back cargo hold, its metal, and it will vibrate like what you say becuase it is a little lose, the sub causes it to vibrate, i just have to tighten it and it will fix the problem, to lazy atm though.

·
Registered
2007 ML350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing in the back.

does anyone know how to remove the speaker grill all the way in the rear of the ML? the roof speakers?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Last time i checked they just came out, you just pull and they come off, but that was in my 06, they should come off, if they dont than leave them and just ask the dealer how.

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
138 Posts
I've only had the ML for a month or so, but damn, the vibrations from those rear roof speakers is really annoying. My passenger side one buzzes and makes a lot of noise at certain frequencies, drivers side seems alright. If you find a solution for this issue please do post in this thread. I'm going to tinker around on the weekend and see what I can do to reduce it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've only had the ML for a month or so, but damn, the vibrations from those rear roof speakers is really annoying. My passenger side one buzzes and makes a lot of noise at certain frequencies, drivers side seems alright. If you find a solution for this issue please do post in this thread. I'm going to tinker around on the weekend and see what I can do to reduce it.
What kind of music do u listen to? Lots of treble, bass, deadmau5?

·
Registered
2007 ML350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last time i checked they just came out, you just pull and they come off, but that was in my 06, they should come off, if they dont than leave them and just ask the dealer how.
I yanked on them pretty hard without any success. I'll be going in for my service C in January and will bring it up to the service advisor. Prefer to handle this stuff on my own. If the whole ceiling panel needs to be dropped for some reason it's gonna be a pain.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I yanked on them pretty hard without any success. I'll be going in for my service C in January and will bring it up to the service advisor. Prefer to handle this stuff on my own. If the whole ceiling panel needs to be dropped for some reason it's gonna be a pain.

Thanks for the feedback.
Ill ask my install guys i work with today how to take the back ones off, they will know for sure and ill post back when i find out. But ya if u have to take the entire roof off that would suck, and knowin how mb does some stuff, exactly how they planned. lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Talked to our installed, for the 07, you have to take off the roof to change out the speakers...... sorry man.

·
Registered
2006 ML500; 1994 SL500
1 Posts
...... Second vibration is bass related alongside the driver's side, above the subwoofer. I've located the spot, but have not pulled off the inner panel. It's, surprisingly, not the panel over the woofer, but rather the pillar that runs to the roof of the rear cabin, almost over the rear passengers head. Something behind that panel most likely. How is the panel over this pillar removed?
I have the same problem in my '06 (the panel above the subwoofer compartment). Were you able to find any fixes?

In a related problem, I find it bizarre that the subwoofer is covered by a solid compartment panel (the same removable panel that covers the first aid kit) which seems to cause a lot of street-side vibration of the rear quarter. The back of the plastic compartment panel even has a round rib, suggesting to me this should be cut open and covered by a secondary speaker grille. Is this the case, do I have the wrong (solid) compartment panel? (Bought the ML used).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts