Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E300D
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear bumper has the rear bracket that is rusty the prev owner put a bolt on each side behind rubber trim can i just get a bracket or just bumper or just the bumper shock or all i can not tell how they are held together and does any one have pic's of how they are held together
[:(][:(]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
the bumper shocks with rubber on the end were glued to the inside of the bumper. not a very good choice by mercedes in my opinion.
i have my entire bumper wired on to the frame by 2 coat hangers as a fail safe. been like that for years and hasn't fallen off... yet!

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
The bumpers are held to the rubber mounts by L-brackets that sorta wrap around the top and bottom of the mounts. The mounts have raised bosses on the inside on top and bottom to keep them centered. If you had the mounts and bumper off the car, you would slide each mount in from center and then bring the unit to the frame to slide the mounts in and bolt on. The problem is, due to corrosion, the L-brackets (usually the bottoms) fall away allowing the bumper to easily come off the car. if you don't have matching 4 matching brackets on the inside of your bumper get a new one and take the old one to be recycled. I'm on my phone now, but I have a picture of a bad bumper on my computer, if you still want to see it let me know, I can post it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1997 E300D
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes please post a pic of a bad bumper so i guess all i need is a bumper and the bumper comes with the bracket's and my shocks i can reuse thanks[|)][|)]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
Stevenpfaff - 4/14/2005 8:54 PM

The bumpers are held to the rubber mounts by L-brackets that sorta wrap around the top and bottom of the mounts. The mounts have raised bosses on the inside on top and bottom to keep them centered. If you had the mounts and bumper off the car, you would slide each mount in from center and then bring the unit to the frame to slide the mounts in and bolt on. The problem is, due to corrosion, the L-brackets (usually the bottoms) fall away allowing the bumper to easily come off the car. if you don't have matching 4 matching brackets on the inside of your bumper get a new one and take the old one to be recycled. I'm on my phone now, but I have a picture of a bad bumper on my computer, if you still want to see it let me know, I can post it tomorrow.
i guess mine have completey disappeared cause i never saw anything surrounding that rubber end!
is there any way to replace the bracket inside? or bolt the end of the shock to the bumper?
i would like to get rid of the coat hangers!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
that really helped- a pic is worth a thousand words.
that entire bracket is misssng inside of my bumper
on both sides!!
there's gotta be a way to bolt 'em on...
[|)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts