Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300CD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In previous years (PO says about 3 years ago) my car got into a little altercation with a brick wall (results inconclusive). It left the car with a pushed-in bumper and a few scratches. I couldn't care less about the scratches, but I've gotten to the point where I want my bumper the way it's supposed to be. I noticed that there's two shocks on the back, and any attempt to pull the bumper proves futile. Is there a way to remove the bumper and have the shocks repaired? I haven't been able to find any shocks ANYWHERE, even at junkyards. The bumper itself is in pretty good condition, short of needing a nice polishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to find those shocks, sorry.

Maybe you can rig something up so the bumper is straight.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300CD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap. That stinks. But as for bumper removal, do you just remove the rubber trim and unscrew the mounts on the side of the car? I have US spec bumpers, btw.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
You can buy the shocks from MB but last I checked (few years ago) they were around $100 a piece.

Get a whole rear bumper w/ shocks that have not been compressed. Make sure you get from the same year model too so it looks like yours hasn't had any damage done.

In 81 or 82 they had a different style. Your '85 will require the plastic rails on the bumper to mount the impact strips on. The earlier models did not have these and had metal rails instead (shock mount to bumper was also different). Hence the recommendation to get from the same year (or 83 to 85).

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300CD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can buy the shocks from MB but last I checked (few years ago) they were around $100 a piece.

Get a whole rear bumper w/ shocks that have not been compressed. Make sure you get from the same year model too so it looks like yours hasn't had any damage done.

In 81 or 82 they had a different style. Your '85 will require the plastic rails on the bumper to mount the impact strips on. The earlier models did not have these and had metal rails instead (shock mount to bumper was also different). Hence the recommendation to get from the same year (or 83 to 85).
The problem is actually finding a junkyard around here that has an '85 w123, let alone FINDING a w123 at all. A parts car isn't really in my budget at this moment, either. Any idea where I could find a "new" rear bumper and how much it would cost?

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,062 Posts
The perfect reason to put Euro bumpers on the car! Let me know if you want a pair...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts