Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i keep wanting to take pictures when it's clean, but that just isn't working out with the schedule, so here's pictures at dusk and dirty. This is the second G-kraft/Rockware bumper. If you wanna see the first, you can search "rear bumper", author "brian"

It's like the original except with more "features". Dare i say it's new and improvd? It has a "skirt" running around the bottom, tubular extensions in front of rear lights for body protection or recovery. The steps over the reverse lights help so you can't accidentally tear the lights off with your boots or, well just getting in and out.

The skirt hampers departure a little compared to the first one he made, but it's still provides better clearance in all locations than the stock bumper... except more protection for the lights from behind.

I'm happy, at 70 lbs, it doesn't add much weight but anything that does enough damage to bend this bumper or bend the bumper and frame would have done so much damage to the body they'de be replacing multiple panels for some major body work.

I have to say, i hate having body work done, and i wish i had bought it before getting hit... i had to grind the holes a little to make it fit, but that was agreed upon before the job started, and a decent rotary tool and .25" carbide bit did fast work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500L, 1968 SWISS Mog
246 Posts
Very nice bumper!!! I want this one!!!!
Do you want to trade your bumper with my rims?? Just kidding...

I really like it because it looks so strong and can hold parktronic sensors.

So, can Rockware still make it? My bumper looks really bad now. I'm holding the bumper by duct tape, othewise it will fall a part....

I really hate the stock bumper and want something strong like yours. 460 steel bumper is another option to me.

Yasu

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was basically $1000 plus shipping. Which seems fair considering how many welds he grinds in the process. Matt at rockware is a good guy to work with. I don't see why he wouldn't make another. I think it would suite you well. In fact, the stock bumper is a little anemic (weak) considering the strength of the rest of the truck. I like it because it's relatively factory looking compared to a tubular bumper and matches the body pretty well.

You could have him shorten the length of the receiver hitch for a little more clearance, or have him not weld the it onto the bottom at all if you never need a receiver. Part of why it's so solid is because it actually bolts into the hitch mounting points so if you don't get the receiver, you can't add the factory one. The stock bumper isn't laterally supported so if you got hit from the side it would just push out of the way. Almost impossible when your bolted into the tow hitch area.

Considering how much offroading you do, one more thing i'd have him add is a little plates on the left and right side to partially close the underside of the bumper. That way if you get stuck on the bumper driving out from an obstacle, you could just slide off easily without catching the back plate that holds the parking sensors.

He needs a basket that holds the parking sensors. If you do that, one thing i did to the sensor before sending it was to take a razorblade and remove the tiny little notch that's used for alignment with the bumper. I really don't see that it does much and makes his grinding easier. Actually, i have extras of those now from my body work, so i could send him one for you. The skirt plates are at 20 degrees from vertical so the sensors fire straigth back with the stock mounts.

Oh, the tabs he put on for the reverse lights didn't work out becuase the lights were interfering with the frame parts, but i've yet to contact him with the details of what to change. He could probably just leave the tabs off. I solved the problem by getting pre-drilled little 90 degree angle brackets from the hardward store.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts