Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had new rear discs and pads done for the MOT recently. They were squeaking pretty bad, but only when I was in reverse! So I went back to the garage (I should mention I bought the pads myself from ECP so pretty cheap) he said the fault was the fact that they are crap pads. So yesterday I got some new pads from Mercedes, had a hell of a job getting them in but I did in the end (my first DIY brake job btw1). They still squeak a bit tho! They do have this almost rubber/plastic backing on them which I thought was quite good. Would that eliminate the need for copper grease?

Any ideas as to why they are still a little noisy? I guess I'll run them for a while and see if it settles down. With the original cheap set they noise just got worse and worse though.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Did you get the shims and MB paste? The shims get glued/stuck on the back of the pads, then you put the paste on there and the sides where the pad makes contact with the caliper and piston.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,109 Posts
past? i just did my fronts, they got a clap, clap, clap. sound as i drive faster as i speed up. i did the back up slam the braks on, to set them. ( that might be what the original poster should try.it might help him , didnt me.

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the shims are the sort of rubber/plastic for the back? That was already on it. I didnt use any paste thought.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
I assume the shims are the sort of rubber/plastic for the back? That was already on it. I didnt use any paste thought.
Yes, those are the shims. You put the MB paste on the back of the shims, and the sides of the pads where they slide in the caliper housing, to prevent the noises you are referring to. Easy enough to get, and easy enough on these cars to take the pads out, apply and reinstall. Good luck!

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Never heard of copper grease. Get the paste at your dealer, pretty cheap and comes in little packets the right size...

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Copper grease-- a.k.a. anti-seize compound.

This is good timing for me, as I have the same squeal in reverse and at low speeds (1-5 mph). I need to get the shims-- I left them out last time I think...

The MB paste is much better at preventing squeals than copper grease, from what I've read.

D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts