Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 W210 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at these pads for my rear brakes: Wagner Brake Products ThermoQuiet MX603A - Brake Pad | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Only thing is it says "Wagon"?? Does this even matter, are the pads body style specific?

I wanted to go with some pads that won't wear down my rotars but not too much brake dust either. This is apparently OE Semi-metallic. Are these close enough to the OE pads that come with my car?

What do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions but keep in my I want to buy them locally as I need them now because my rear pads are pretty much nonexistant.:(

Can you guys tell me if I'm on the right track and these will be good for my car. I'm new to working on cars so bear with me please.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I believe the only difference is the pin count. You can pull a rear wheel to see what you have.

That said, have you checked your rotors to be sure they don't need to be replaced? (Same goes for the pins themselves.) If they do, just order it all online and don't worry about how worn the pads are, unless you are going to a track day soon. ;)

But if you want Wagner, see if you can find an application guide for them instead of relying on the parts site. Wagner is a good brand, though I don't know if anyone here is using them. Some of the 163 folks are, though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Please understand "ThermoQuiet" is term for China OE equivalent pad - actually not bad pads as compared to some others sold as "OE" - but not as good as Pagid or Textar true OE.

The budget pad that has worked well when doing buddy's MB's on a budget are "Posi Quiet" which is a step up from ThermoQuiet - better pad material, still semi-metallic, lower dus that OE and frankly quite a well made pad.

Overall, like $33 a rear set - yes you have to check rears for 1 or 2 pin to know which to order.

Posi's have a heat resistant vinyl backing to prevent squeals, and the Posi's have been pre-scorched so don't need breakin:

Posi Quiet 104.08760 Semi Metallic Disc Brake Pads - REAR | eBay

Good prior advice, if changing pads always good to check rotors since rotor change out on the rears not a big hassle.

Zimmerman Zcote's are MB OE now, replaced ATE since Zimmermans store better with the coating preventing storage corrosion - Z's can be $70-$75 for a pair aftermarket. No need for Z's cross drilled like $145-$150 a pair

·
Registered
2002 W210 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please understand "ThermoQuiet" is term for China OE equivalent pad - actually not bad pads as compared to some others sold as "OE" - but not as good as Pagid or Textar true OE.

The budget pad that has worked well when doing buddy's MB's on a budget are "Posi Quiet" which is a step up from ThermoQuiet - better pad material, still semi-metallic, lower dus that OE and frankly quite a well made pad.

Overall, like $33 a rear set - yes you have to check rears for 1 or 2 pin to know which to order.

Posi's have a heat resistant vinyl backing to prevent squeals, and the Posi's have been pre-scorched so don't need breakin:

Posi Quiet 104.08760 Semi Metallic Disc Brake Pads - REAR | eBay

Good prior advice, if changing pads always good to check rotors since rotor change out on the rears not a big hassle.

Zimmerman Zcote's are MB OE now, replaced ATE since Zimmermans store better with the coating preventing storage corrosion - Z's can be $70-$75 for a pair aftermarket. No need for Z's cross drilled like $145-$150 a pair
The link you posted to the Posi Pads,are they 1 pin or 2 pin compatible?

I believe the only difference is the pin count. You can pull a rear wheel to see what you have.

That said, have you checked your rotors to be sure they don't need to be replaced? (Same goes for the pins themselves.) If they do, just order it all online and don't worry about how worn the pads are, unless you are going to a track day soon. ;)

But if you want Wagner, see if you can find an application guide for them instead of relying on the parts site. Wagner is a good brand, though I don't know if anyone here is using them. Some of the 163 folks are, though.

Good luck.
Looks like I wont be going with Wagner then. I have eyeballed and felt my rotors and they are really smooth and look good. Don't know if that is thorough enough checking or if I need to take of the wheel to see...:confused:

And where are these "pins" located, are these the same pins that are sometimes called retaining pins and need to be tapped out as shown in the DIY Brake pdf?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The link you posted to the Posi Pads,are they 1 pin or 2 pin compatible?

Looks like I wont be going with Wagner then. I have eyeballed and felt my rotors and they are really smooth and look good. Don't know if that is thorough enough checking or if I need to take of the wheel to see...:confused:

And where are these "pins" located, are these the same pins that are sometimes called retaining pins and need to be tapped out as shown in the DIY Brake pdf?
1. You'd have to have amazing eyesight -- surpassing Superman and the Six Million Dollar Man -- to be able to see the thickness of the rotors. Either Mic them or replace them, but only a fool would guess.

2. Each of the rear pads has either two holes or one hole to retain them. Look at the pictures on a quality parts site like autohausaz.com. Then look at your calipers...how many pins do you see?

3. If the pins look corroded, replace them. Better to buy and not need them than the alternative. But you still need to know how many to order.

4. I don't know any other way to say it...
REMOVE A WHEEL AND INSPECT. PERIOD.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 W210 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks to be only 1 pin

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
950 Posts
Wagon and sedan rotors ARE different. Wagon rotors are slightly thicker and will not fit in a sedan caliper.

·
Registered
2002 W210 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Mintex is owned by Pagid - and Pagid also owns Textar - personally I don't like Mintex pad material, even softer and more dust than "OE" - Textar brand pads are OK, and German Pagid are the actual OE pad for the W210.

Keep the beat !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts