Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got quite a surprise when I pulled the rear wheels of of my '96 C36.....it has solid brake rotors with dual piston fixed calipers! There is no logic in this that I can see as the fronts are the same SL600 brakes used on the '95 yet instead of the '95s E500 rear brakes which were the same diameter but about 30mm thick and vented they put solid fricken rotors back there! Can anyone say "Cheap Bastards"?! I see no logic in this and would be very interested in hearing from someone who does. In the meantime, I am going to get some '95 C36 rear brakes for my car which has warped rear rotors thanks to a rear brake package that has no business being on a C280 let alone a C36. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe a running change in the trasction control system required that they standardize all the C-Class rear brakes but that doesn't make too much sense. <p>Come to think of it, is there anyone out there with a '97 that can check to see wether they have the same solid junk or the larger E500 vented rotors?!<p>Carl<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the solid junk brakes !! more

Sorry to hear.. Where do you get the vented rotors ?<p>: I just got quite a surprise when I pulled the rear wheels of of my '96 C36.....it has solid brake rotors with dual piston fixed calipers! There is no logic in this that I can see as the fronts are the same SL600 brakes used on the '95 yet instead of the '95s E500 rear brakes which were the same diameter but about 30mm thick and vented they put solid fricken rotors back there! Can anyone say "Cheap Bastards"?! I see no logic in this and would be very interested in hearing from someone who does. In the meantime, I am going to get some '95 C36 rear brakes for my car which has warped rear rotors thanks to a rear brake package that has no business being on a C280 let alone a C36. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe a running change in the trasction control system required that they standardize all the C-Class rear brakes but that doesn't make too much sense. <p>Come to think of it, is there anyone out there with a '97 that can check to see wether they have the same solid junk or the larger E500 vented rotors?!<p>Carl<br><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I have the solid junk brakes !! more

: Sorry to hear.. Where do you get the vented rotors ?<p>Good question.......it is actually not that simple as you need calipers as well. I would guess the upgrade will be around $1000. When I get my differential I will look into it and keep you posted. <p>BTW, What year is your C36 Gerald? <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 97 C36..one of the last ones made.....

I was looking at these aftermarket slotted rotors. Do you think they're worth it ?<p>Thanks<p>: : Sorry to hear.. Where do you get the vented rotors ?<p>Good question.......it is actually not that simple as you need calipers as well. I would guess the upgrade will be around $1000. When I get my differential I will look into it and keep you posted. <p>BTW, What year is your C36 Gerald? <br><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
97 C36..one of the last ones made.....

Gerald, I also have a '97 C36. I do not have information about what is different from the '95 cars that were reported by the mags. Mine is a 5 speed, may have different timing and intake that would add 12 HP, and might have the solid rotors in the rear that I just found out about.<p>What other differences might my car have and how can I find out about them?<br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts