Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1976 240D 115 Pumpkin Orange 700,000+ miles and rising!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my rear passenger side brake hose and it is time to bleed it.

Ill say it - I am lost. The Haynes manual outlines how to do it with an assistant and I am trying to do it with my might vac.

I am hooking my vac up over the bleed valve (circled red) and now what? It says to turn the bleed valve 3/4 turn depress pedal etc etc. I should be able to attach to the bleed pump the vac to have some vac pressure - open the value and vac till no air. This is at least what I have seen on youtube.

My question is - do i actually try and turn the valve that i hook my pump up to? It doesnt look like it is actually threaded to turn. The pic is bad and I can take a closer one if need be.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
Please replace ALL those hoses. front/rear
If you haven't done so in the last 6-10 years

Then you get fresh fluid throughout the system.

They swell / shrink internally and will compromise the
excellent braking ability of the car.

Volume AND pressure is correct with new hoses,

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Before turning anything, WD40 the hell out of that fitting. If you break it off, you're screwed. Use a box wrench to undo it too (the closed/circular part of the wrench) or you risk rounding the corners off.

·
Registered
1976 240D 115 Pumpkin Orange 700,000+ miles and rising!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before turning anything, WD40 the hell out of that fitting. If you break it off, you're screwed. Use a box wrench to undo it too (the closed/circular part of the wrench) or you risk rounding the corners off.
This is great advice - thanks. It is one thing I do no matter what. Before I work on anything on this car - I coat it generously with liquid wrench and let it sit for several hours to over night.

I figured it out - was just not paying attention that the bleeder valve itself was threaded. Hooked my mighty vac up to it applied vacuum turned it 3/4 turn and watched the fluid flow. Once a nice solid stream locked the bleeder valve back down and breaks are back to 100% now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts