Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just checked these posts https://www.benzworld.org/search/48170/?q=slc+rear+brakes+won't+bleed&o=relevance and I'm not sure they are relevant for me.

1979 450 SLC 5.0 - 107026
  1. Fronts bleed
  2. Rears don't, neither by manually pumping or me using a vacuum.
  3. Disconnected rear brake line at the rear brake line junction
  4. No fluid flowed.
  5. Disconnected rear brake line from master cylinder and from the rear brake line junction
  6. Blew air the rear brake line - some air flow.
  7. Blew air from the junction to the rear calipers - both had flow.
Should I try bleeding with the ignition in start position? I thought that was an ABS rear brake bleed requirement?

I'll try this tomorrow if it matters but wondering if it's something else.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Friendly heads up, the brake reservoir has two sections on it. You really have to fill up the main reservoir for the second one to fill up.

Get it as close to the top as you can. You'll see bubbles when its filling.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So literally keep filling until it overflows cause I put a quart in there but I’ll try tomoyto make sure.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Was this a bleed after installing a new master? If so, you should bench bleed first to avoid “eternal bleeding syndrome’

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: It would appear that even though it looked as though I was filling the reservoir enough before, I wasn’t. Bled fine and my old cruddy fluid has been replaced.

Yes, I should do the entire brake job well documented by @PanzerPuff , but at least I don’t have to put my foot through the floor now!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Dont fill it up with brake fluid till it overflows , reason is this fluid will fetch paint off quicker than any paint stripper .
I've spilled brake fluid plenty of times in the engine bay. Paint didn't lift off.

Cover the outside paint with a blanket of course for good measure and run water over the brake fluid drips for good measure. No harm no foul.

Glad OP figured out the easy solution 👍

·
Registered
983 Posts
Anyone else on this brake fluid paint stripper its the best thing to strip paint Read the tin .. i have used this method for years it rots paint work faster than paint stripper .. .So dont get it on your bodywork be said ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I have some Harbor Freight moving blanket I draped over the fenders when I’m working. Engine bay got it’s fair share of fluid for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts