Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
MB SL600, BMW335
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 SL600 has a slight whine from the rear of the car at 45 mph (only).
No whine under deceleration or acceleration, only with a steady, light pedal.
No clunking either. Replaced diff. fluid with Mobil1 75-140, but no improvement. Fluid that was drained had no obvious metal in it.

Any ideas?:bowdown:

·
Registered
MB SL600, BMW335
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My '95 SL600 has a slight whine from the rear of the car at 45 mph (only).
No whine under deceleration or acceleration, only with a steady, light pedal.
No clunking either. Replaced diff. fluid with Mobil1 75-140, but no improvement. Fluid that was drained had no obvious metal in it.

Any ideas?:bowdown:
No one in this forum has had any rear axle whine/noise? :surrender: I looked on the general forum, and there were a lot of entries, but no real solutions.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,084 Posts
I have a similar rear differential whine also. Also changed oil and no difference.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,837 Posts
Usually that whining noise we blame on the Mother in law sitting in the back, but as we have only two seats it can't be that.

R129 back axles are usually bullet proof if the oil level is maintained properly.
Before you spend a lot of time and money, try putting in a slightly heavier oil, or a diff quality multi-grade.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
If its ONLY slight, don't worry about it!!!!!!!! The rest of the car is SO!!!!!! quiet you could hear an ant FART!!!!!!! don't worry about it unless it gets LOUDER!!!!

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Azmi and Ray, I don't believe I have ever in my life heard an ant fart, LOL. But come to think of it now, I have experienced before a slighty audiable and seemingly intermittent whine originating from the rear differential area while driving in low speeds perhaps under 20-30 MPH or so as I can't recall the exact speeds at the moment.

I am not certain that these symptoms are directly related to the concerns expressed by the OP. However, I would like to note that upon replacing the existing rear differential gear oil to BG 85W-90 fully synthetic, the mentioned whinning sounds have yet to return. Not even once, and it has been over a year already.

DIY: R129 Rear Differential Gear Oil Replacement

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
jack the rear end up in the air, both rear tires off the ground securily.

start the engine and put it in D, then let the wheels roll, they will roll at a steady pace around 5-10MPH at engine idle speed.

no go back to the rear of the car, and look carefully for a muffled whine or crackle, starting with the outside of one wheel, working your way into the hub, bearing, axle outer boot, inner, diff, inner boot of the other side, outer, bearing, hub then wheel.

a long thick screw driver to use as a stethoscope comes in handy...

·
Registered
SL500
42 Posts
My car has a similar whine, I have tried the snake oil solution without success. Found a "low mileage" diff which I installed, still whines.
I stripped my diff which appears to be in good order with correct clearances and no apparent wear.
My next step was to see if the noise came from elsewhere. Have you done anymore to solve your whine?

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
read the instructions above...

in my case, I determined that my driver side wheel bearing is shot...

·
Registered
2007 CLS63
235 Posts
I have similar whine at lower speeds coming from brakes. May have something to do with switching to drilled rotors. You can check if that is it by dragging on brake little bit, when I do whine goes away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts